Retro Wc1 Ships made NEW!

"You" "have" "a" "bad" "habit" "of" "over-using" "quotation" "marks." "It" "makes" "you" "look" "stupid." "Go" "back" "to" "school" "and" "learn" "how" "to" "write" "in" "English."

"You rise in rank by posting."

"People with 2,000 posts or more may choose a graphic and rank. People who have contributed a lot to the community over time are sometimes awarded a rank and graphic."

We don't increase people's postcounts. Your postcount indicates... what your postcount is.

Originally posted by KrisV
"You rise in rank by posting."

...People who have contributed a lot to the community over time are sometimes awarded a rank and graphic."

We don't increase people's postcounts. Your postcount indicates... what your postcount is.
The crux of the matter is the middle portion quoted above. Obviously you can't increase anyone's post count; my thought was that, though he hasn't been here a long time, Howard has demonstrated amazing potential (esp. for prospective or existing [read: UE] WC mods) for contributions to the WC community. I feel for this he should be commended by way of the mechanism you elaborated on in your post. If you don't agree, that's cool; I just wanted to nominate him, das' all...

Originally posted by Frosty
"You" "have" "a" "bad" "habit" "of" "over-using" "quotation" "marks." "It" "makes" "you" "look" "stupid." "Go" "back" "to" "school" "and" "learn" "how" "to" "write" "in" "English."
I didn't know it was that bad (this is the first time anyone's brought it to my attention), but the reason is probably the fact that I'm too lazy (or in too much of a time crunch) to bother with italics, bold, etc. most of the time. When I get real ambitious, I'll use one or both of those alternate methods instead...

One thing though: When you consider that my post was essentially a transcript of a dialogue between two people, the quotation marks are not that excessive, if at all..

-----------------------------------------
Finally, I chose this offbeat method to speak my piece 'cuz I was in a humorous mood

Originally posted by Preacher
Originally posted by Frosty

And your point is?

Originally posted by WildWeasel
Except for the fact that Kris' usage of quotations was proper. Yours was not.

Really?... Was Kris posting a transcript of a dialogue? I'm perfectly willing to learn, but as far as I know from the reading of such materials I have done, that seems to be proper. Well, one thing I coulda done better was maybe to eliminate the quotes altogether by placing identifiers before each line, like so:

Cleese: I came in here to have an argument.

Palin: Oh, no you didn't; you came here to have an argument.

Cleese: Oh, this is ridiculous!

Palin: No it isn't!

Cleese: Yes it is!...

etc. etc. etc.... :D

howard day < nice aera design. it suits their 'lite' feel in VS.

do you know what you'll do for the final race design?

-scheherazade

Kris was quoting parts of this.

Oh, I knew whereof he quoth :D

My point was simply that quoting an interpersonal dialogue has different rules of punctuation than for quoting a monolog.

The crux of the matter is the middle portion quoted above. Obviously you can't increase anyone's post count;

Well, to be fair, we can... we choose not to.

My point was simply that quoting an interpersonal dialogue has different rules of punctuation than for quoting a monolog.

Well, it's nice of you to point that out, but from what I understand, the statement in question is this:

Look, I "get" the fact that my post made him "sad".

I'd love to understand the rules behind the punctuation of that sentence. (Assuming that there are any, of course.)

posted by scheherazade:
i hope howard starts a new thread...
Now, if you actually genuinely wanted that to happen, your best course of action would be to
sendpm.gif
him and suggest that he do so.

Of course, I don't know... does that enhance your post count? A consideration of grave importance, to be sure.

Well, it's nice of you to point that out, but...

...I'd love to understand the rules behind the punctuation of that sentence. (Assuming that there are any, of course.)

Simple-both of these apply to my post:

Look, I "get"....

1) When using a word or phrase whose meaning is obscure, or not readily apparent, placing it in quotes alerts the reader to think of alternate meanings than what might be obvious.

...my post made him "sad".

2) when citing a word someone used, and you have reason to doubt the truth or appropriateness of their using that particular word, you put it in quotes.

Start a thread and name it "orthography" (with the quotes) in the off-topic zone, but stop ruining this thread, that Howard dude was showing some very good stuff here.

Back