Replica planes

The Gee Bee racer or the Spruce Goose, now those are rare right there. If you want a rare WW2 bird, try the NK-J1 Shinden. It was a push-prop design the Japanese built to counter the P-51 Mustang, but obviously wasn't built quick enough to enter full-fledged service.

The Smithsonian's Air and Space annex maintains an *extensive* archive of aircraft blueprints. Contact them.

Originally posted by Ripper

???????? How many of those have you even seen, much less flyable?:confused:

I think he just meant the die-cast models or the assembly models you can buy, not actual aircraft. But yes, you would not find one flying around except as a special at an airshow.

Delta_Strife,I just had this thought: why don't you make some WC models? You would definitely get big bucks from LOAF, and I would buy the lot as well if you made them.

ME-262s...

At the very elast there's one downtown in Washington DC. And I'm thinking I've seen one or more in Germany...

Wc models would be cool! I wonder why no one else has tried to make models of thwm it might even help WC become more popular.

Originally posted by Delta_Strife
Wc models would be cool! I wonder why no one else has tried to make models of thwm it might even help WC become more popular.

Because in order for models to sell, the models have to already be attractive. As far as US sci-fi shows go, the only ones that I've seen models for have been Star Wars and Star Trek. I imagine you could find some Babylon 5 stuff if you looked, but probably not much else.
Now the Japanese, on the other hand...
If there's a popular mecha anime, chances are that Bandai has an MG, or possibly even a PG, kit of one of the mecha available somewhere.
But where I live, model kits tend to be confined to dingy hole in the wall hobby shops.

There's garage kits for pretty much anything imaginable... doing a WC set wouldn't be too hard to arrange.

Originally posted by Wulf

But yes, you would not find one flying around except as a special at an airshow.

Me262's
I don't think that there is even one example in the whole world that is capable of flight.

(Something I'd like to change, eventually, bythe way.)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
ME-262s...

At the very elast there's one downtown in Washington DC. And I'm thinking I've seen one or more in Germany...

I've never been to Germany. I heard RUMOR that the one at the Chino Cal. air museum is the only one in the U.S., and they don't even have all the parts.

Anyone have better info?

Nah, can't be true -- we've certainly got one in the 'jet age' exhibit on the lower floor of the Air and Space Museum in Washington DC.

Are you sure? Is there a way to check? I went to the Air & Space Museum back in '79, and I don't remember seeing one. They had a FW 190 and a Me109 for sure.... I really think I would have remembered a 262 if I had seen it.. If it WAS there, I must have missed it.:(

Originally posted by Ripper
Are you sure? Is there a way to check? I went to the Air & Space Museum back in '79, and I don't remember seeing one. They had a FW 190 and a Me109 for sure.... I really think I would have remembered a 262 if I had seen it.. If it WAS there, I must have missed it.:(

Well, I don't know if it was there in '79... but its been there ever since I was a kid in the 80s. It's *not* in the World War II exhibit -- it's in the 'Jet Age' exhibit downstairs (next to a P-80).

Back