Repair droids

dazza

Spaceman
After buying the advanced repair droid which is meant to make repairs while you are flying around in space, i was expecting to see the fuzzy displays dissapear quicker or something but i can not tell whether the droid is doing anything or not.

This has probably been asked before but is there an activation button that you need to press to get the droid to start working or is it active all the time.

Secondly if the droid is active all the time, is there a way you can monitor the droids progress on how repairs are going, say so that a list of damaged components appears on the ships computer, maybe with an estimated time of how long it would take to repair a particular system, or that you could select the component that you thought needed fixing quickist.

Does the droid work on one component at a time or does it share its time over all the damaged components?

Dazza,
If you hit "R" you will see a list of your current systems with a percent number next to them. In the original Priviteer the RD worked pretty fast, I don't know if it worked on all at the same time or one at a time, but it brought me back from death pretty good.

The droid won't work on hull, armor or guns, but should work on about everything else.

It should be on automaticly, I, too, got the RD in the Remake, I too, am stumped. I haven't seen it do much of anything with damaged stuff (other that mentioned above). I have noticed it getting destroyed before other stuff and I though it should be one of the last things to go.

Hopefully someone will clue us in or fix it.

Starblazer

I have no idea how/if the repair droid works. It's not in the portion of code I was alllowed access to. I'll fix it if I'm allowed to though!

allowed access too? ;-)
the code is all online--you just need a (sadly) expensive compiler to build it and modify it :)

if you get the cvs program you can download the latest codebase (it should just have synced with the soon-to-be 1.0 release)
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/vegastrike co vegastrike

that's the code :)
then to build it with visual stuido
also do the
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/vegastrike co vega-vc7

I can zip you up a release (I should tag it!) if you wish

There's always cygwin. Though there's not many people I would wish that on. (cygwin is cool, compiling VS on it, less so)

In my experience the advanced droid in the original was FAR faster than in this remake. I would say it would take about 30 seconds to repair a system.

Although 30 seconds in the game is a LONG time.

Congrats on remaking my favourite game of all time though!

Busy, busy repairbots.

In my experience the advanced droid in the original was FAR faster than in this remake. I would say it would take about 30 seconds to repair a system.

I'd agree, although it's been well over a decade since last I played the original. *One* time I think the droid has actually fixed something that I noticed, in PrivRemake.

I looked all through that source .zip, but I couldn't find any code about the repair bots. It mostly looked like .h files and some VC++ 7 compatibility code. Am I missing it?

-Sleet01
"I laughed, I cried, I fell down, it changed my life... it was good."

so I can just put <var name="RepairDroidTime" value="30"/> in there for example to change it to 30 seconds per system?

Sorry I don't understand....so if I put the above line of code that I included what would that do to the advanced droid repair time per system?

probably divide it into 4 ... or was it 2...
but it repairs random systems--even ones that are working ;-)
so it may take slightly longer

OK I suppose I will play around!

Thanks for the quick responses.

I think the main difference is the speed at which they repair stuff.

Granted I haven't had much more damage that hull/armor which they don't fix, but I got shot up one time pretty bad and switched to the Repair screen and waited but didn't see anything being done even tho the Repair System Advanced (What I have) was at 100%.

My Radar was at somthing like 57% but didn't get repaired until I landed and had it fixed.

I just try not to get the crap beat outta me *too* often. ;>
4 Tacyons and auto-targeting helps too! ;>

Starblazer

Starblazer said:
I think the main difference is the speed at which they repair stuff.

Granted I haven't had much more damage that hull/armor which they don't fix, but I got shot up one time pretty bad and switched to the Repair screen and waited but didn't see anything being done even tho the Repair System Advanced (What I have) was at 100%.

Yes...

But have anyone ever saw them work in 1.0? Does anything get repaired?

Back