Remake Manual

No Specular Lighting == All ships are plastic models
Specular Lighting == Ships are all completely shiny from the white sun, but don't reflect the background
Specular Per Pixel Lighting == Ships' hulls have variable shininess and the shininess is from the hull, not the background
Reflective Lighting == ships hulls reflect the background like a mirror (we can adjust the reflectiveness of the background by brightening/dimming the background .bmp files in .privateer009/textures/
Reflective Per Pixel Lighting == ships hulls reflect the background depending on the hull's surface reflectance on a per pixel basis ... it's still in general far to reflective and we could easily tone down the background reflection

Nearly ready for new update. All I need is information writeup on how to install under Linux and Mac, and a couple of pics (low priority).

Can anyone post a short write up (similar to the Windows writeup I already include) for me to insert.

WIP is posted to the usual location - Privateer Remake Manual

cool! :)
linux install:

"Linux may be installed as either a user or as root. The way to install as a user is as follows: sh privateer-1.0.run
then it will ask you for a directory to locate the files, defaulting to /home/username/privateer and a directory to put symlinks to the binaries.
if you have no location for binaries in your $path you will be forced to uncheck the "install symlinks to binaries" option. Then you must note that the symlink is to the binary in privateer/bin/vegastrike.sh
and you must run this one instead of the symlink.
To install as root is much simpler...just do
su
sh privateer-1.0.run
then select a path to install, be sure to install symlinks and then as a user you can run privateer like so:

privateer

if you wish to change setup options do
privateer --setup

mac:
The mac install is quite simple:
double click on the dmg image.
you should see Vega Strike, Vega Strike Setup and Vega Strike Setup OS X 10.2
double click on the setup... select options
double click on Vega Strike.
you can play
Under mac you will notice significant performance improvements from running it directly out of the dmg file... but if you so desire, you can copy the Vega Strike application into /Applications (and same with setup) with no adverse effects (aside from slightly slower startup time)

That should do it for directions: hope that helps silverain

OK, manual is in final form for 1.0.

The only changes I expect to make are any error corrections, and incorporate Cyberion's Splash Screen if done before 1.0 is ready for release.

See below for link to get the .pdf.

I'm sorry SIlverain: more changes (for usability)
Turret keys are now different:

cntrl-t "tells your turret to turn on and attack your target"
cntrl-r "turn off turrets!"
cntrl-f "tell turret to fire at will, and attack any factions that are hostile to you... not necessarily ones you just angered with your weapon blasts (otherwise it could go from a bad to a worse situation because you hit 'em accidentally, then suddenly your turrets go off killing them)"

this makes life a *lot* easier with respect to turrets...I hope people will be pleased with it

fire at will is a great addition. When the player is flying a Paradigm (either through a hack, or the use of spiritplumber's patch) turrets aren't as useful as they are to an NPC paradigm. You had to micromanage the turrets and oculd only use them to engage one target at a time. Should be a lot more useful now.

In more everyday gameplay, it gives you the opportunity to engage up to 3 targets at once in a Galaxy.

I hope people will be pleased with it
Definitely! But I do have two questions. Does alt+t still select the turrets target? And have these new turret keys yet been put in the version (1.opre5) that us lowly mortals posess?

nope...just in my version
but yes alt-t does tell turrets "attack my target"

you really only need cntrl-t any more--cus that says that too, and turns them on

would require access to the new binary... I'll give it to you sometime soon :)

BTW those garrisons in perry are awesome :-D

thanks ^^; they should work right now for the most part... and no, you can do it by hand by declaring turrets independent from their master ship *cue soviet anthem* in vegastrike.config

And one more erratta thing: I forgot to mention to you the key 'k'

k toggles between autotracking and not autotracking for your guns...
k also may show a warning that your radar has been incapacitated while you disable autotracking.
pressing 'k' will fix this problem.

Sometimes your repair droid will take the liberty of repairing the autotracking for you...kindly disabling it again should restore things into your control

hellcatv said:
And one more erratta thing: I forgot to mention to you the key 'k'

k toggles between autotracking and not autotracking for your guns...
k also may show a warning that your radar has been incapacitated while you disable autotracking.
pressing 'k' will fix this problem.

Sometimes your repair droid will take the liberty of repairing the autotracking for you...kindly disabling it again should restore things into your control

late addition?

Silverain -

I would like to do a final edit on the manual before 1.0 is released. After you make these changes could you get me a copy?

Sorry, JKeefe, was busy yesterday at work. Am doing the changes now, and will put a link to my source soon.

Silverain

Excellent. If I get it sometime tonight I will try to have edits back to you by midnight.

There shouldn't be much to fix at this point, anyway.

Back