reflections...

Chernikov

Spaceman
I was just reflecting and noticed how the board tends to find logical solutions to almost any irregularities in the WC universe, and all any new game writers/novelists would have to do to keep their stuff straight would be to log in on a regular basis and keep up. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Of course, but that's easier said than done. The writers and such have lives and interests of their own, and they're often not centered around Wing Commander. For many of them WC was a job. You can expect a certain amount from them, you can maybe even expect them to make an effort to connect with fans to make the best possible product, but I don't think you can directly expect them to do something like log in and participate with us every day.

It would be nice if the author, at least, didn't contradict himself. Forstchen talking about the Shata and Utara who each were supposed to have given the Kilrathi jump technology and then were rewarded by being slaughtered by the Kilrathi. I saw one person explain that the Kilrathi had multiple names for the one species, sort of a regional dialect, if you will. Pulishers do have fact checkers, though I'm not sure how much time they spend on Science-Fiction, at least on what is, unfortunately, a relatively small audience (WC readers.) I do know some of the other Sci-Fi- franchises do try to work very hard, at least in the last decade to try to avoid continuity conflicts.

[This message has been edited by Shane (edited August 10, 2000).]

Having Forstchen stick with continuity and not contradicting himself is like having the Kilrathi not wage war; it probably won't happen.
wink.gif
Not to dog on Forstchen, I like his work, but he really should pay better attention when he's writing (having one character with two different names in one book is not very professional).

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it's not exclusive to his WC work. While his stories are great fun, there are big gaps in continuity. In his 1990 novel "Rally Cry", for example, there's a character named Jim Ferguson, but Jim suddenly becomes Chuck halfway through the novel and throughout the rest of the series. Also, Chuck's wife, Olivia, becomes Varinna by the last novel. There are more instances like this. And I believe Adm. Banbridge and Kruger in his WC novels each have two first names between Fleet Action and Action Stations, but I could be wrong on that score.

------------------

I don't remeber Krueger's name changing, but it does seem like his history got shifted around over the years.

I like Mercedes Lackey's WC better. It's a lot easier to get into from page one. I read a lot of books and have taken to notice how easy thigns are to get into as opposed to others. (Though, normally, I look to deeply into things like that so others dont' see it as I do :p )

Have yet to read 10 pages of a Forwhateverhisnameis book.

Lackey's story had its ups and downs. I liked the opening and some of the detail on Firekka. There were some nitpicky problems with some of the fighters. Also I thought some of the character development was wanting, but again it may be me. ALso on the plus side it was more grounded with a given game (SM2), but not a game novelization.

I believe he's also Max in Fleet Action.

------------------

Yeah, you're right, he was called Hans in Action Stations. I was just coming back to correct myself. And yes he was Max in Fleet Action.

[This message has been edited by Shane (edited August 11, 2000).]

Yeah, I also preferred Freedom Flight. I think it's because Mercedes Lackey worked together with Ellen Guon, who was responsible for the WC2 storyline. The result was that Lackey's Kilrathi were far more three-dimensional than Forstchen's. Just compare the way Kirha acts in Fleet Action and Freedom Flight.

Kirha... I wonder what happened to him. Did he stay in Australia after the war was over?
smile.gif
And I wonder if he did actually learn to ride horses... that would be quite a sight
biggrin.gif

What happens to kirah is explained in flase colors (I think). He does go to australia and stay on the farm, but feels like an outsider. The try not to inform him on hunters death but once he does find out he commits suicide
frown.gif

------------------
Go here now ---> http://www.marinecorps.co.uk

Anyone know of WC books in Australia? I think I read someone's post about getting them in New Zealand... I had no idea there were novels around until I started visiting CIC on a regular basis... Of course, maybe I'm being optimistic, there probably isn't much of a market for WC stuff here.

There should be WC books in Australia. If you can't buy it locally, buy it online.

EBay, etc, are great places to buy the books and games (along with anything else).

Try it out and see what pops up!

Back