Reflection on Re: "Poll On Game Engines"

The hardest part, of course, would be to come up with some sort of structure. Without a proper structure, we'd get lost completely.

Actualy a structure already exists. In the WC movie, at the end when the Kilrathi are talking you can see subtitles in Kilrathi being translated into english.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

WTF are you talking about DeathHead?

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Earthworm: They didn't _actually_ translate Kilrathi into English
smile.gif
. They just displayed some jumbled up little signs and then replaced them with English letters
smile.gif
. The Kilrathi were speaking gibberish
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure it was Kilrathi.
smile.gif
It could be used as the Kilrathi language if anyone wants to make the alphabet. The words in KS manual, WC novels are Kilrathi, so the language in the movie is also Kilrathi.

------------------
Gen. Patton

Really
smile.gif
? Can you tell what the Kilrathi in the movie actually said? And I don't mean the meaning. I mean, can you determine what Killie words they used?

Of course not.
wink.gif
But it was better to have words in Kilrathi than have the kities talking in English.

------------------
Gen. Patton

So how would a completly new species comunicate with each other? I'm sure it wouldn't be English.

------------------
Gen. Patton

What? He's name is in the KS manual.

------------------
Gen. Patton

Earthworm: Well, of course it's better than English... I mean... Um... You know what I mean
smile.gif
. But either way, the Movie Kilrathi is of no use in this case.

Ummm...ok??? Why is this post still here and why is it getting so many replies??? ;-S

And what a fun drift it has been
smile.gif
. A nice, stimulating discussion of the Killie language. Come to think of it, the original topic only lasted five or six posts
smile.gif
. But it's your own fault, AzrialX. Ya shouldna 'ave mentioned the Dreadnoughts
smile.gif

Kalkrath: Oh, too bad. I guess you didn't read my post well enough. The Kilrathi do _not_ have an alphabet. They have a set of signs, where each is a single syntactic element (a word). And _that's_ why it would be so bloody hard to create their writing system. I mean, you could just decide that, say, | || |, means Skabak or whatever else comes to mind, but if you want to make the language learnable, you'd have to give it proper structure. That means that you'd have to explain why | || | means Skabak.

I can make a chart of all the Kilrathi symbols we see... but I need somebody with knowledge of font-creation.

------------------
Long live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick
(loaf@wcnews.com - 302228)

The Wing Commander CIC
http://www.wcnews.com

"You go, LOAF! Get some!" -JPG

There already is a Kilrathi font. It looks like the letters we see in the Prophecy intro. You can download it here at the CIC.

------------------
Gen. Patton

Back