Rebel Galaxy Outlaw!

So, sadly still no mod kit available, but Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is currently on sale on GOG for 3.79€.
Get it while you can!

I'm currently tinkering a bit with modding, but without the mod kit the possibilities are rather limited. I was able to e.g. double the cargo capacity of the ships, but overhauling the scanners doesn't look too promising. I would've liked to get rid of the non-locking scanners (seriously, those are a total waste), and instead offer something else for the highest tier (like longer range, faster missile locking, etc). But really the only thing that seems to be possible would be a reduced energy usage as a unique "feature" for the highest tier.
One thing that could be interesting would a rebalance of the weapons. Currently there don't seem to be any real synergies or combos between the weapons (think Freelancer).
I wonder what the Freelancer Crossfire mod team would be able to do with this game. Sadly it supports no multiplayer.

Ugly things happend. I understand the devs.

My only real complaint is that we never got a slider to adjust the size of the deadzones.

The team had to suffer lots of internet hate when they decided to go Epic Exclusive, because gamers tend to feel entitled. When the game launched, there also was some review bombing as a consequence and other things like that, especially after the eventual Steam release.
Situations like that are very stressfuI for everyone involved and it is very hard to get out of them, as most courses of action will fuel the fire, but doing nothing is also terrible. I remember one of the devs (was it Travis? I do not recall) doing a Youtube Video where he read hate comments / reviews aloud in the recording booth to vent some of the frustration, but, with the internet being the internet, that probably did not help matters and nowadays, that video is nowhere to be found.
Effectively, the dev team got out of gaming due to the toxic culture around the hobby.

Last edited:
The team had to suffer lots of internet hate when they decided to go Epic Exclusive, because gamers tend to feel entitled. When the game launched, there also was some review bombing as a consequence and other things like that, especially after the eventual Steam release.
Situations like that are very stressfuI for everyone involved and it is very hard to get out of them, as most courses of actions will fuel the fire but doing nothing is also terrible. I remember one of the devs (was it Travis? I do not recall) doing a Youtube Video where he read hate comments / reviews aloud in the recording booth to vent some of the frustration, but, with the internet being the internet, that probably did not help matters and nowadays, that video is nowhere to be found.
Effectively, the dev team got out of gaming due to the toxic culture around the hobby.

Dang that's negative :( The way Howie told it it sounded like they made enough money to leave, I hadn't realised the hate had played a role, but I did see those videos.
I can absolutely understand that reaction, being in the games industry I have a very different view of steam and I dare not vocalise it in any depth. And more generally an exclusivity contract helps produce the games people want to play. I've been on a few projects where that was the only way forward, and even when it isn't it's often the only way to give a safety net for the next project.
Without exclusivity investment in games would drop radically, the competition Epic has offered has been fantastic for developers.

So it took me a while to write, but I successfully completed a tutorial on how to convert an enemy ship into a flyable player ship now, even without the official mod tools.
hhrhhr had released his lua mod utilities for RGO a couple of months ago, and I reverse engineered the structure of the .layout files and extended these mod tools with a layout2lua (and back) converter, which makes this possible now.
Other, more simple mods were possible even before this (like a Powerplant 5, an Advanced Repair Droid, etc), which I had all uploaded to the Nexus Mods page:

The tutorial can be found below, the accompanying for mod a flyable Steel Rats Zandt ship is also on Nexus Mods:

Oggy: We're releasing on the Nintendo Switch so a recent mid-range laptop should be able to play the game quite reasonably. :D We've optimized the crap outta it.
Holy Necro thread batman.
Finally got some time to play this; wow, blown away! playing it on max settings on my 2 year old PC and its butter smooth and visually great! really digging it.

That's good to know, it always looked like something to be really proud of! (I say "looked" because my laptop is quite a bit older than "recent", although it's cheap enough now that I can probably give it a shot. Do you get royalties?)

The art direction is still one of the best I've ever seen. Only thing that could make it better would be if the Privateer mod saw the light of day :)

Back