Real Life WC models

vax

Spaceman
Having built radio controlled airplanes in the past I've decided to start building small (less than a foot long) WC ship models out of balsa wood and plastic and stuff. I've already started a Vampire and I started plans to build a giant (5 or 6 ft. long!) TCS Midway with fiber optic lights and LED's and stuff. I was just curious if anyone has ever built WC models before. I know someone made some really tiny ones I've seen on the CIC. :)

I don't have pics yet, I think I'm going to start the Vampire over, and it will be awhile before the Midway gets started.

When I looked at the title of your first post, I thought you meant life-sized models! <WOW!>

Still, a giant Midway model is bound to be impressive.

ah, Well I say 'real life' meaning 'not rendered models'. When I tell people I'm making WC ship models they ask "Really? What program are you using?" :)

Originally posted by Wedge009
When I looked at the title of your first post, I thought you meant life-sized models! <WOW!>

When I looked at the title, I thought he meant Wing Commander cartoon characters, similar to those found in Greg Dean's Real Life comic.

I built an atmospheric variant of a movie style Rapier, and it worked out really well!
But it got messed up. However, I do a lot of custom models and am now finishing up an interceptor from the SciFi book I'm writing. Once that's done I'm going to start working on an original CF-117 model, probably built off of a Mig-21 kit. I'm going to document the whole process and post directions when I'm done.
However, I am also researching the possibilty of doing an Excalibur, Hellcat, Raptor, and Thunderbolt from scratch.

Back