Real Life Carrier Question...

Concordia

Swabbie
Banned
Okay, you have the Battlegroup Commander (The Admiral), and the Captain.

The CAG, or Air Wing Commander... he answers to the captain? or just the Admiral?

I'm not certain. I think the Airwing is listed as part of the Battlegroup nowadays and is not under the general command of the Captain.

Am I wrong?

-Concordia

I would have thought that the CAG would answer to both. Since He/She serves UNDER a Captain

I'm not sure, but I seem to remember reading somewhere a few years back, the US navy tried the "Super CAG" approach.

The CAG would be equal to the Ships Captain and thus answer to the Admiral.

Before that, the Ships Captain would be superior to the CAG.

I'm not sure how well the "Super CAG" approach went though

The captain of a ship at sea is ALWAYS the senior most officer on board, even if an Admiral is visiting, the captain can, technically at least, give the Admiral an order.

So the CAG has to answer to the carrier's captain AND the battle groups admiral.

the the captain commands the ship, the CAG commands the planes. the CAG is under the captain, though they usually both hold the rank of captain, but the CAG is not next in the chain of command. least that's how my grandfather told me it works. could have changed since he got out of the navy

and the one exception to the rule of the captain being the senior officer is if the admiral makes that ship his flagship

In The Final Countdown, the CAG is a Commander. Since they had the full cooperation of the Navy, and the run of the Nimitz, I'd say that it's a pretty good reference. Except for the Nimitz crew actors. GAG!:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Ripper
In The Final Countdown, the CAG is a Commander. Since they had the full cooperation of the Navy, and the run of the Nimitz, I'd say that it's a pretty good reference. Except for the Nimitz crew actors. GAG!:rolleyes:

Yeah, but hat movie was made in 1980.

In 1986, the Secretary of the Navy had a new idea of running things and had this "Super CAG" idea... I think it involves having the CAG holding the rank of Captain and operating independantly of the Captain and answering only to the Flag Officer.

I'm not certain if that's true though.

-Concordia

"I see!" said the blind man, to his deaf dog, as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Originally posted by twiligh81
The captain of a ship at sea is ALWAYS the senior most officer on board, even if an Admiral is visiting, the captain can, technically at least, give the Admiral an order.

So the CAG has to answer to the carrier's captain AND the battle groups admiral.

not just technically, the captian is ALWAYS the CO of the ship... if the ship becomes a flag ship the Admiral is there to oversee activities... and to *guide* the mission along, but when it comes to combat decisions, the captain's is second to only god... actually some skippers and CODS, LCPOs (WHATEVER) will claim to *be* god... but thats besides the point, but yes... if the Admiral says one thing and the captain is saying another thing... the captain is in authority... as for who the CAG answers to, well head officer of that division... so i'd figure hed go straight to the captain

(my bad... CODs= Chief of the Boat (which is subs only) and LCPOs are Lead Chief Petty Officer... which i guess is the closest equivalent to a COD)

Wouldn't having a CAG unanswerable to the Captain make for lots of tension? Shouldn't there be just one master of the ship, that is, the Captain?

Also, can't an Admiral, if he does come onto a ship, can do whatever he likes and override the Captain? It may make for bad morale, so the Admiral usually shuts up or works through the Captain for practicality's sake?

I claim no knowledge of Chains of Command, I just thought that the Super CAG idea sounds like bureaucracy trying to destroy the military.

redwolf, the defense of the ship is Priority Number 1. THe Captain can overrule the Admiral is said Admirals orders would compromise the ship and her crew.

And we been saying tht the CAG answers to the Captain. It's a good idea to read every post.

Back