Read Some Religious Reviews (June 30, 2005)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
While we're on the topic of paired reviews, it might be neat to take a look at two Wing Commander Movie analyses by the church. The ChildCare Action Project: Christian Analysis of American Culture liked the action, effects and casting, but faulted the movie's story a bit. In a rare move, the CAP Report believes Wing Commander actually got a slightly more restrictive rating in the US than it deserved. They would have expected a PG instead of a PG13. This is in stark contrast to many other PG13 movies in their database being branded the work of the devil. They gave it a 73/100 with points docked for things such as "sharp-toothed demon" looking Kilrathi, "22 uses of the three/four letter word," "open-mouth kissing" and other sins.
There were somewhat graphic battle deaths, some sex talk and innuendo, some booze and drinking, and a few other issues of unacceptable programming such as the usual plethora of foul language. One of the male pilots was seen atop a female pilot with his face on one of her breasts. Though both were fully clothed I suppose the comments and implications were strong enough to leave nothing to the imagination, which I suppose was the reason for the PG-13 rating.
Christian Spotlight On The Movies gave the film a two-star rating with average moral overtones. The scenes between Rosie and Maniac appears to have torpedoed the movie for Christians. This reviewer wasn't quite hip to the "Pilgrim" thing and replaced it with "pioneers" of spurious genetic origin.
Wing Commander followed somewhat closely from the computer games series. Some of the characters were the same. A lot of it seemed very different from the game play...
In short, not a good movie for Christians. [ If our reviews have been helpful to you, please prayerfully consider a donation to help pay the expenses for making this service available to you and your family! Donations are tax-deductible. ]
The review also received a couple of positive and well thought out responses from frequent visitors of the site that are worth checking out for a more balanced perspective.

--
Original update published on June 30, 2005

Last edited by a moderator:
HAHHAHAHAHAAHAH

Ive seen em before, those guys are hilarious. I think I remember Mary Poppins was the only was to get a perfect score.

Ed

"One of the male pilots was seen atop a female pilot with his face on one of her breasts. Though both were fully clothed I suppose the comments and implications "

Must have been forgettable. I cant even remember such a scene.

Ed

That was great. There's some Christian channel on tv where some guy gives movie reviews like that. He always gives Harry Potter bad reviews based on how rotten and evil all the children in it are.

Edx said:
"One of the male pilots was seen atop a female pilot with his face on one of her breasts. Though both were fully clothed I suppose the comments and implications "

Must have been forgettable. I cant even remember such a scene.

maniacandrosie.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dyret said:
How can they complain about people *not* having sex in a bed? :confused:

Well, they explicitly say it's because his head is between her breasts and they're talking about how they just had sex.

I know what they said. Most movies with sex show people having sex, not people talking about how they just had sex. Those christians should give the movie some credit for that at least.

Dyret said:
I know what they said. Most movies with sex show people having sex, not people talking about how they just had sex. Those christians should give the movie some credit for that at least.

That's not true. Most movies imply it, but don't show much.

Those reviews were somewhat amusing, but you have to remeber that they were written by a load of hypocritical bastards. I despise people going around with a sort of "Holier than thou" mannerism to them. Grrr.

Happy Camper said:
Those reviews were somewhat amusing, but you have to remeber that they were written by a load of hypocritical bastards. I despise people going around with a sort of "Holier than thou" mannerism to them. Grrr.

While I can't talk for those who wrote this particular review, I do know of many christian friends who firmly believe that it is a sin to commit premarital sex. So while they accept that these things happen in the real world more often than not, they are offended by having to sit through material that not only would suggest premarital sex, but that neither suggests that it had been a bad idea, or that there would be no negative consequences.... there is no hypocracy there. A review that explains what material a christian might find offensive in a movie is useful to them, as they feel that most movies contain too much offensive material and rate movies as being good, less on the story and character development, and rather by how little there was in the movie that offended their sensibilities.

Now as for these reviews... How the heck do you call Harry Potter horrid and then turn around and say the sugar coated Marry Poppins is Grade A material for christians? Especially considering she's everything the witches and wizards of the potter movies are, just dressed up in a prettier bow. Same goes for wizard of Oz. (or is that what you meant by hypocritical?). Personally I aslo find it hilarious some of the things different people find objectionable. I know people who hated Lion King because they thought there was too much african tribal spiritism. Yet they have no problem with Free Willy's native american mysticism. :confused: How, for example is the stuff in LOTR any different then, say, the Force in star wars. Now I can totaly understand why others would not like excessive language, graphic violence, or explicit sex in movies.

I'm pissed by those "this movie sucks because there is magic in it!!!". Even if one is religious, heck, it is fantasy, make believe! I'm pissed by the implication that every movie, book or work of art that features some sort of magic (or The Force, or whatever) is the path to the DEVIL or hell. Can't we fantasize? That's thought control. Totalitarism.

Regarding sex, well, it is kinda annoying that they want movies to punish people who fuck. Ok, so you think having sex before marryage is wrong, good for you. But then every "sinner" on movies and books must SUFFER for it? C'mon. that is simply wrong. They hold that everything must conform to their narrow (and it is trully narrow, they say it themselves) worldview.

They may believe in whatever they want, just don't impose those beliefs on other people.

But the reviews are usually funny. They see many intents and implicity evils in many movies. I'm sure the writers and directors would laugh.

I like the movie physics site better, though. pretty funny reviews.

Edfilho said:
Regarding sex, well, it is kinda annoying that they want movies to punish people who fuck. Ok, so you think having sex before marryage is wrong, good for you. But then every "sinner" on movies and books must SUFFER for it? C'mon. that is simply wrong. They hold that everything must conform to their narrow (and it is trully narrow, they say it themselves) worldview.

Hmm - I guess that kind of 'hardcore' Christians must love cheap Horror movies then. She who has sex has to die first after all ;-)

Edfilho said:
I'm pissed by the implication that every movie, book or work of art that features some sort of magic (or The Force, or whatever) is the path to the DEVIL or hell.

They think its heresy because other people than God are doing wierd stuff.

AD said:
While I can't talk for those who wrote this particular review, I do know of many christian friends who firmly believe that it is a sin to commit premarital sex. So while they accept that these things happen in the real world more often than not, they are offended by having to sit through material that not only would suggest premarital sex, but that neither suggests that it had been a bad idea, or that there would be no negative consequences.... there is no hypocracy there.
I wasn't saying that all christians are hypocritical bastards. In fact, most christians (and most other religious people) are very good people indeed. It just angers me when people like that (I viewed their website) can be so intolerant. I seems to me that their basic philosophy is that if they ignore the unpleasant things in the society, they will simply go away. I personally believe in education, showing kids these things at a suitable point and telling them why it is wrong. Anyway, that's my opinion and I'm sorry if I've offended anyone - unless they happen to be members of capalert.

Edfilho said:
That's thought control.

How so? The site cleary states its intentions, there's no hidden message. There's no secret conspiracy to prevent you from watching harry potter moviews.

Edfilho said:
Totalitarism.

Only if by totalitarianism you mean a group using their right of free speech to express ideas you disaproove of.

I might not agree with them, but I don't think they are totalitarians for merely expressing an opinion on the Internet. No one is forcing you to read their reviews.

Edfilho said:
They hold that everything must conform to their narrow (and it is trully narrow, they say it themselves) worldview.

And yet here you are complaining that their view don't conform with your worldivew.

Edfilho said:
They may believe in whatever they want, just don't impose those beliefs on other people.

And how are they doing that by publishing a review on a website?

I read stuff I disagree with every day on the Internet, but that doesn't make it all some crazy totalitarian attempt to control thought.

Happy Camper said:
It just angers me when people like that (I viewed their website) can be so intolerant.

Perhaps this happens because you are intolerant towards them if their behavior makes you angry.

Being a Catholic, all what's left to say for me is that here we have one over-zealous bunch of fundamentalists. Too much sex with too many pepople is bad, as we all should know, but if it were for those nutcases, we should give up condums and anything that prevents unwanted results, and I am not solely referring to the chance of birth.

I am woundering, though how anyone below 12 could understand that sexual hint, it is simply not very explicit IMO.

Edfilho said:
That's thought control. Totalitarism. [. . .]

They hold that everything must conform to their narrow (and it is trully narrow, they say it themselves) worldview.

Thought control? How so? The reviewer is merely advising his readers, people with similar beliefs, on elements that they might find offensive. That's not thought control; that's advice.

And where did they say that movies must conform to their worldview? Quotes, please. Instead, I found only opinions that they did not find certain movies to be very acceptable to watch, and suggested that stricter ratings should be used (for certain PG-13 titles). That's not saying that those movies should not be allowed or should "conform to their worldview."

Again, where did you find an imposition of beliefs? Did they send you unsolicited e-mails of their movie reviews and demand that you not watch the reviewed movies? Instead, you visited their Website where opinions were expressed that their members may not find the movie acceptable.

In the future, you might try not letting your personal biases influence your arguments.

And hats off to Delance for an objective viewpoint.

Back