Read All About Gemini Sector Changes Between Privateer and Righteous Fire (January 27, 2023)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Something from Privateer I never noticed before: the Blockade Point Alpha system is totally redone for Righteous Fire! So I got to wondering what else might be different...

...so I extracted the game's SECTOR files, diff'd them and learned how Privateer handles its random encounters (thanks greatly to the Playtester's Guide!). Here's a Google Doc with all the changes.

Most of these are tiny changes to encounter tables in systems you play missions in, all of which are intended to make your life harder: more chances of Retros and Kilrathi, fewer Confed and Militia forces.

I also found that there's a "Test Bed" system still in the game but not connected to the rest of the map (no jump points). Crazy! It has an encounter table that can spawn any of the regular ships. I added it as the appendix to the doc linked above.

--
Original update published on January 27, 2023

I also did not notice/recall this - probably because flying through the Kilrathi or contested border systems generally isn't very profitable for the risk and effort involved. Looking through the documented differences, the greater Retro presence at Drake is clearly to hint at the mysterious informant's connection to them, similarly I assume Death, Pestilence, War, Valhalla and Rikel systems have greater Retro presence due to their proximity to Eden.

Nitir seems to be the outlier - I'm not sure I recall why there was substantial change there.

I believe the change in Nitir is to support the Sandra Goodin mission where you're sent to defend the agricultural planet there from the Kilrathi... so they've upped the chances you'll meet random Kilrathi on the way.

I'm still looking for the hiden jump points but so far I didn't find the two that I've found when playing the game 10 years ago.
I know that one leads to Perry and it is somewhere between the jump points (or even at the edge of the map) but I've not found it so far. When I jumped through it and saw the position on the map, I thought: "I don't need to write that down, because the CIC sure knows about it. And it's between the nav points, so you can't miss it. I was wrong. But I will keep on searching..."
That said, I'm 100 percent sure, that the jump point does NOT ... and I repeat... does not connect Rikel and Perry. If Rikel and Perry are connected via a hidden jump point, then there exists another secret jump point.
I hope my memories will come back... so far I only remember flying torwards a jump point and I was chased by ships. I switched to turret mode and flew past the jump point... later, when I switched to front view I saw a hidden jump point that was not on the map. The jump point that I navigated to was on the left side of the map... or on the center... I'm more sure it was on the left side and I flew from right to left or from bottom up. Damn it...

I also found that there's a "Test Bed" system still in the game but not connected to the rest of the map (no jump points). Crazy! It has an encounter table that can spawn any of the regular ships. I added it as the appendix to the doc linked above.
LOAF, is there any chance to take a look at the sector data? I mean... is it readable so that you can see the number of jump points or if anything is hidden?

I really want to find these secret hidden jump points again. And no, it was not a dream, I've really found them 10 years ago...

I believe the change in Nitir is to support the Sandra Goodin mission where you're sent to defend the agricultural planet there from the Kilrathi... so they've upped the chances you'll meet random Kilrathi on the way.
I recalled Nitir somewhere, didn't connect it with Goodin's new missions for Burrows. That's probably it. Thanks.

Back