Re: The map that came with WCP

Mao Tse Tung

Spaceman
On the map that came with WCP, in the Challenger Quadrant of the Avalon Sector, there is a system named Dallas. It is unusual in that no jump point leads to it, and there is a path that leads from itself to itself. Does anybody have a thought about the Dallas System?

This has been brought up before, many times. The Dallas system is unique as it has no jump points leading to or from it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a ship has a "hopper drive" it can visit the Dallas system. A hopper drive acts like a hyperdrive from Star Wars, it doesn't require a connection between systems. I'm fairly certain on that matter, but not totally sure. As to why it was placed where it is made like it is, it's hard telling, knowing those folks who have contributed to the WCU over the years.

There was a Dallas Snell, who I believe was the guy in command of Origin at the time of WC2, though I don't know how long he continued there afterwards.

Dallas Snell was a former Origin employee -- he once drew an org chart that was just his name with an arrow pointing to himself... the system with only a jump point leading to itself is a reference to this.

Man, I can't believe I missed that. Or maybe I didn't, and just forgot...

About those 'Hopper' drives, I take it they weren't as safe, or efficient (fuel wise) as the jump drive we use in the games, else if they did function in the same way as the hyperdrive then they should have been used more widely.

Except the one from Pilgrim Stars of course, but my guess is that it will be destroyed in PT, and since it's the only one Confed won't be able to build another one.

Back