Re: Privateer 2 graphics problem

Mao Tse Tung

Spaceman
Everything in Privateer 2 looks so dark! I have a Diamond Stealth II S220 video card, which is based on the Rendition Verité 2100 chipset, and an Optiquest Q51 15" monitor. The Q51's brightness and contrast controls are turned up to maximum, but it doesn't help. The biggest problem is the inability to see dark objects on the screen, particularly in spaceflight. I cannot see the crosshair, planets with dark colors, and the lines and circles of the radar. It is extremely difficult for me to make out CIS capital ships, cargo ships, and nav point markers. Are there any DOS utilities, preferably free DOS utilities, that can make the things that I see appear brighter? I once had something like that for Windows that was left over from my using Rendition's reference drivers. It was added to Display Properties. The "Gamma Correction" control would adjust the brightness of everything that I saw. Is there anything like that for DOS?

I used to have an older computer system whose monitor, although smaller, displayed things bright enough that I was able to easily see the things that I cannot see now with my current monitor. The only brightness control that I know of controls the brightness in the movies; to my knowledge, there is no brightness control for the game itself. I know about Blindfire, but it's going to be a while before I will want to advance the plot to that point. While the crosshair is indeed in the center, I still have a hard time aiming. I never was a good shot in any of the Wing Commander games. Thanks for replying.

Occassionally people report your situation.. it seems it may just be your monitor is on the darker side and won't do it.

Back