Rapier Redux

Great job Klavs! While I am more partial to the DOS WC1 version of the Claw, this really is quite good. I had a question about the model - specifically the launch bays. On the port side there is that hangar opening amidships, but its just a panel on the starboard side. Is the hanger only accessible from one side of the ship or is the starboard opening simply closed up?

Thanks a lot Howard, still can't hold a candle to your great stuff though! I used your great Hornet model as a reference when building mine.

Sylvester, I originally had the upper bay as two sided, but I decided to close it off on one side to allow for better elevator locations to get recovering or launching spacecraft down to the main bay.

Hangar bay is in progress, stand by please. :)

I especially like the side view - looks fast and dangerous - almost like a bullet.....and that you kept the original landing bay - great work again :)

Thanks guys, and WCNews staff; I really appreciate the news coverage. Must be slow news days or something. I hope the final results don't disappoint!

Cheers

Adding some more detail, Weapons are all placed. The rec room, hangar deck and barracks are all coming, just have to model up a bucket to catch the condensation from the overhead pipes.

Attachments

• A.JPG
    A.JPG
    440.4 KB · Views: 289
  • B.JPG
    B.JPG
    548.1 KB · Views: 352
  • C.JPG
    C.JPG
    513.8 KB · Views: 208
*speechless* Oo

did you make all Wing Commander 1 Ships or just a few?

And what musst I do to get it for Saga ? xD *laugh* :D

very good :D
I think the size of the runway is nice. Not to long, not to short. My Bengal i used for Saga (Standoff Model) has a much longer runway:

screen0419.jpg

By null at 2011-03-08
I try to give the model more detail than before: another runway, lights on the bridge, side and runway and a "door" for the hangar. Before there was a wall ._.
screen0412.jpg

By null at 2011-03-07

i'm not a modder so i can't change the model itself ._.
The lights on the runway are from your Confederation Class :)

Okay, this is the last I'll bother you guys with Claw for a while, until I get it lit up with floodlights and running lights and get it some working hangar decks. Enjoy!

Attachments

• A.JPG
    A.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 219
  • B.JPG
    B.JPG
    267.2 KB · Views: 200
  • C.JPG
    C.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 189
  • D.JPG
    D.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 342
Not a bother at all - the bay-eye view in post #119 is one of the most beautiful shots of the Claw I've ever seen :)

(Maybe it's the influence of the poster speaking, with the launch bay windows and all)

Last edited by a moderator:
I looking forward for the flightdeck.
In the German Forum at Wingcenter we discuss many times how the Bengal can carry 104 Fighters with a half ship as a useless runway ín space.

On the Movie Bengal no more than 20-25 fighters have the place on that "space submarine ^^"
In the original Bengal about 30-40. Or less. Look at the pic in the attachment: Bengal 104 - Yorktown 40? How?

SWC, WC Academy Series and Howard Models of a Bengal has better dimensions to carry that large fighterwing with closed runway or 2 decks.

Attachments

• carmenranger1.jpg
    carmenranger1.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 263
Fold the wings, stack 'em up, and shove them into racks under that nice, thick, useless flightdeck.

Interesting thought:
Carrier capacity usually considers a large portion of the fighters to be in the air on patrols and such. When we see an idle carrier, there's a lot of craft packed tightly on deck. Wonder what a WC1 Bengal would look like with rows of Hornets, Scimitars, and Raptors parked on that deck?

Interesting thought:
Carrier capacity usually considers a large portion of the fighters to be in the air on patrols and such. When we see an idle carrier, there's a lot of craft packed tightly on deck. Wonder what a WC1 Bengal would look like with rows of Hornets, Scimitars, and Raptors parked on that deck?

You mean like this? ^^
70 Hornets awaiting your command :D

I have only the Hornet from WC1 :/

Attachments

• bengal.png
    bengal.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 258
Thanks Evan, but no, I'd rather just keep them on WCNews for now.

Could you post a link to your website, so we could all check it out?

The Raptor. *Sigh*

Ninja, I tried to incorporate a few of your wonderful ideas, but I just don't think I'm doing it justice. I still really like my initial design sketch but it evolved to a squat gunboat looking thing when I started working in 3D.

I may just scrap the whole thing and start fresh tomorrow, but you guys deserve a look.

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 178
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 317
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 233
Back