Ranks removed.

KrisV

Administrator
Due to some issues with the ranking system, I've disabled it for now. Code hacking just isn't all that. They're not gone forever, just until we can decently implement the feature.

People hack the code to get higher ranks?

------------------
Zohrath.

http://www.starlancer.net - Lancers HQ, the best source for Starlancer and Freelancer news.

The board only allows 2 member ranks. By making a few changes in the code, you can get more. But it doesn't work all that well.

How long till you can fix it?

------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

what happened? did the thing crash?

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

I had a sideaffect from the ranks: I couldn't see oldtpics as old ones (everytopic was *new*)
frown.gif

The problam's sloved NOW...
------------------
Evilution!

[This message has been edited by Hero (edited January 13, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hero, I had the same prob, what? You couldn't use the damn dates and times to tell when the latest posts where? J/K
biggrin.gif
Did we really have to sacrifice the ranks for THAT?

------------------
Member of the Blacklance HQ
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
When I'm in the cockpit, Knight never falls.

For me every single topic was marked as an old topic

------------------
I fight on the side of peace and honor, just like Blair

No, the new topic thing died because of a totally unrelated UBB bug (number #145 I encountered so far...). Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I first noticed the problem with the ranks when I read one of Kalkrath's posts. He'd just made post 150, so he should have automatically been promoted to Captain. He wasn't though. And the change of rank only took effect when I used a feature called 'update threads', which is used to refresh older posts after you change things like colors. But even in his new posts he wasn't promoted.

Obviously, I don't feel like making that my half daily routine. And that's not likely to change just yet. I can't put an estimate on when they'll be back, because I don't know what the hell went wrong in the first place.

So was I, it wasn't that far off.

------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

when its back up do we hafta re'earn our ranks?
i don't frequent here often (unless bored :p ) and i made First LT.
PLZ tell me we get our old ranks back

Guys, don't worry about it...

the question about whether we would get our old ranks back:

Yes, unless all the post counts are somehow deleted in the process (Highly unlikely)

A problem with hacked code (more so if you don't understand all of what you are doing) is that a million little problems show up and then you have to fix that, then a 100 million even smaller bugs come up and you fix those, this keeps going until the bugs are so small that no one notices
smile.gif

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

It's really no big deal guys. They were fun, but not crucial or useful in any way. They'll come back when they come back. 'Till then, go with the flow.

------------------
Hats off to the new-age hairstyle made of bones,
Hats off to the use of hats as megaphones...

-Frosty

Hehehe. I love it when people say, "they're gone for good?
frown.gif
," and the question has already been answered with a "No" in the first post. Cut Kris and the superiors some slack. This is their work, they have to dirty their hands with it, so we don't have to. Code is nasty.

------------------
Heck, when you think of a better signature, tell me.

Knight: I didn't say anything about my prob till after the ranks were removed (it was annoying, but I didn't really care).

However, the problam was over after the ranks were removed, so I guess it must have SOMETHING to do with it
frown.gif

------------------
Evilution!

Kalkrath: no, I was monitoring the rank thing that day, to make suer everything was working like it should. Your post #151 changed nothing. Then in post #152 you seemed to notice there was something wrong. Then I used my administrative powers
smile.gif
and refreshed the whole board... then and only then you were promoted. Same thing with TC : he was well over 300 posts, and still wasn't a Major (301 is the req.).

I monitored the board for several days after that, and I'm 100% sure of it: the ranks never changed by themselves. I don't know why, because a whole bunch of other boards use the same hack with success. And no, I didn't make any mistakes
smile.gif

As soon as a solution presents itself, the ranks will be back. And since they're based on your postcount, you won't start out as a cadet.

Last edited:
Like I said earlier, that's another issue, totally unrelated to the ranks. Bugs, bugs, bugs...

Hey, guys, relax! Look on the bright side:
At least the CZ doesn't have to go offline (I hope).
smile.gif

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

Back