rank system question

i was looking over blair's profile in the encyclopedia section and i was wondering since blair was killed in action wouldn't he be automatically promoted up two ranks to vice admiral instead of Commodore. just wondering.....

Posthumous promotion is an existing practice in some national military forces. For the states, for example, there are protocols for the Marine Corps and the Army. But in all cases I know about, the recommendation for promotion should be issued before death in the line of duty (which can be doctored with, for political reasons)

Although, posthumously promoting a soldier who did achieve something important in his moment of death is often used a way of publicly showing honor.
Now we can debate if there was a recommendation for Blair in someone's desk drawer; or even more controverse: why there obviously wasn't something planned for him. But I'd rather not.

(EDITed after some googling, but basic message is the same)

Even with post-humous promotions, a two-rank jump is pretty much unheard of, at least from what I recall. In this case, he MIGHT have gotten a jump up one rank, although all we know for certain is that he had a heck of a memorial service after Prophecy and during the period that Secret Ops started.

Now we can debate if there was a recommendation for Blair in someone's desk drawer; or even more controverse: why there obviously wasn't something planned for him. But I'd rather not.

The ICIS Manual claims that Blair was planning to retire after completing the Midway's shakedown cruise. When this happened he probably would have been given a courtesy promotion to Rear Admiral. It doesn't seem to have been the case upon his death, though... since he's still Commodore Blair at his memorial service.

As for the original topic, I'd certainly like to know what inspired it. Two grade promotions are rare... and *exceptionally* rare for flag ranks -- they're things like Nimitz going from Rear Admiral to Admiral in order to give him the authority the Navy needed him to have at the start of World War II.

All That Remains said:
okay thank you, i was just wondering that's all. were use to that in the core. i was wondering if the same thing applied.

The core? Not, the *corps*?

I'm not sure why you'd single out Americans -- that's how the word is pronounced in English.

(... or, for that matter, in French.)

corps sounds a bit too much like corpse when pronounced the other way.

No wonder it is pronounced "Core"

NinjaLA said:
corps sounds a bit too much like corpse when pronounced the other way.

No wonder it is pronounced "Core"

The s is kinda silent in english but the root of both words is the same. LOAF mentioned The french word corp which is the french word for Body.... corps being plural. Hey, I guess that's kinda the meaning of corpse too albeit a dead one.

If you want to really shine on the next WC party, you can always try to perplex people by telling them that the latin root of corps and corpse is the same, i.e. 'corpus'. Which just means 'body', in any form, either organizational, natural, alive, dead, with fries and without.

To quench the quickly spreading silliness, something more to the point: Posthumous promotions in general seem to be rather customary in "lower" ranks (NCO's). That may be the cause to let Blair be what he was, apart from the nostalgic "be remembered as in life" aspect, and the not so nostalgic "don't confuse the player and spend the budget on military pathos" aspect.

it is a weird pronounciation for people who speak english as a second language... But the relation between spelling and pronounciation is really whack in english anyway. I find it to be quite interesting, being a native speaker of a language in which combinations of letter are USUALLY spoken with the same sound.

Italian is the oposite of english in this issue, btw, AFAIK you ALWAYS speak every combination of letter the SAME way. Makes it easier to learn too.

Tempting. I know I shouldn't, but do it anyway:
There's the story of a guy (most of the times it's attributed to G.B. Shaw) offering a huge cash prize for someone to give a logical structure to English pronunciation.

As an example, he asks about the pronunciation of this word:

GHOTI

...which is pronounced as "fish". Why?

F as in rouGH
I as in wOmen
SH as in naTIon.

No need to mention that no one has yet won the prize.

[EDIT: Added link.]

Back