Random Q's from an annoying Newb

No, they are just Exeters with landing bays (because they might come in handy at some point, and because WC1 says there is such a thing). :p

The Exeter on Gimle really could be using its fighter bays, it was take quite a beating when Blair arrives. :p

Glory was hands-down the best and most accurate Civil War movie made.

Gettysburg did more, said more and had a much more satisfying result than what amounted to a rather effective "rah rah" movie.

This isn't to say Glory is bad - but when you think on the fact that the same screenwriter and director then did the even better movie The Last Samurai, you realize that both movies are the exact same story - save that one is superior to the other.

What were the other things that lit the fuse for the Border Worlds conflict? Surely the fact that the UBW had an active carrier on the border, as well as the scientist who was made "hostage" at the beginning of the game/novel.

Some of the events that happen during and around False Colors may of had an influence on these systems as they watched the Landreich start to fully stand on its own feet.

Also, LeHah nice new avatar.

What were the other things that lit the fuse for the Border Worlds conflict? Surely the fact that the UBW had an active carrier on the border, as well as the scientist who was made "hostage" at the beginning of the game/novel.
The scientist thing is actually really weird, once you think about it. On the one hand, since the Border Worlders are supposed to be good guys and all that, it's implied that she wasn't really a hostage, and that it was Confed that actually kidnapped her - at least, that's the impression I got from the novel. But then, after the rescue operation, she's there sitting in the lounge, which is a clear indication that she was indeed rescued by Confed. To confuse things further still, however, way back in 1996, the WC4 website used to have a piece of text fiction in which she contacted Eisen about his planned defection, as if she was his contact in the Border Worlds (you can find this fiction piece somewhere in the CIC news archives...). So, really, it's hard to figure out what her story was.

I agree it can be a little confusing. Despite her sitting in the louge, Blair classifies the action as "outright abduction". But that piece of WCIV fiction could actually make it easier to figure out.

So perhaps a stupid question, but do you need the main WC Prophecy files installed to run standoff?

No, just secret ops, which the installer pack is free, in the files section of the CIC, and all that is required. Have fun.

All the necessary files are linked from our downloads page - that's the Secret Ops Starter Pack and our episode files.

Thanks very much. I actually tried to get Secret Ops to run over a year ago, on my older computer, but with no joy. Hopefully I'll have better luck this time. I may be returning after the download to seek advice, but hopefully not!

Following up on that, it seems the game is running fine. I ran through the first two and a half missions before getting shot down. It turns out the keys kept locking up mid-flight for some reason. I'll have a play-around with the settings after work tomorrow, and see if I can't get the problem sorted.

Great fun, anyway. It seems like you've done an excellent job. Good to be back in the cockpit at last.

Yep, it's running fine. A good game. Very tough too, some of the missions are bloody hard.

Some mild criticisms though. Please don't take these the wrong way, I think the game's great. These are meant to be constructive, like feedback.

- I found the pacing of the dialog and cut sequences a little tedious. It could flow a little better, or speed up here and there. Maybe some editing here and there, or the introduction of a new scene or two (perhaps using stills with voice-overs?) to draw the player in a little more?

- The fact that sometimes half your wingmen in the larger engagements have the same voice occasionally grates me the wrong way.

- I'm really not sure about Bradshaw's voice... especially during his very first dialog with Sparrow after the asteroid base mission. I can't say I find him very likable.

- There appears to be a huge amount of female pilot voices, especially amongst the pirates and retros, and any time you're flying with pilots from other carriers.

- In the first chapter, if you eject at certain points, you get captured by the kilrathi? I'm using my imagination here, but...

I notice in retrospect there are no game-play issues I've typed up, just story-telling and narrative points. I think that's the drama-refugee in me. Seriously, I think it's a fantastic game. Well done.

- I found the pacing of the dialog and cut sequences a little tedious. It could flow a little better, or speed up here and there. Maybe some editing here and there, or the introduction of a new scene or two (perhaps using stills with voice-overs?) to draw the player in a little more?
We're definitely not going to be adding more scenes or editing anything in there - Standoff itself isn't finished, but the released episodes certainly are. It's the only way to do it, otherwise we'd still be stuck in Episode One :). In any case, I'm not really too sure what you mean - this particular comment seems too general and unspecific to really be helpful :p.

- The fact that sometimes half your wingmen in the larger engagements have the same voice occasionally grates me the wrong way.
Well, yeah, it happens... but hey, look on the bright side, it used to happen in every other WC game, too :p.

- I'm really not sure about Bradshaw's voice... especially during his very first dialog with Sparrow after the asteroid base mission. I can't say I find him very likable.
Well, that's a matter of personal preference :). In Bradshaw's defence, his acting does improve a lot over the course of the game.

- There appears to be a huge amount of female pilot voices, especially amongst the pirates and retros, and any time you're flying with pilots from other carriers.
I'm fairly certain it's just your impression - pirate and retro pilots are assigned randomly, so every pirate/retro pilot has an equal chance of appearing. It's a bit different with the pilots from other carriers - they're not drawn randomly but specified by us. Still, even there, we generally don't think about who in particular we're putting in, we try to give them a relatively even distribution.

- In the first chapter, if you eject at certain points, you get captured by the kilrathi? I'm using my imagination here, but...
You did meet a Gothri in the second mission... and everybody agrees that it's probably a spy... and when you get picked up by the Kilrathi, you see a Gothri... :p

I was wondering why is it that there are a lot of fighters in the game without the targeting diamond like the Rapier which should have it. I understand that this maybe a little detail but I would like to know why of all the fighters the Rapier doesn’t have it, it’s a space superior fighter and should have a targeting computer on it.

Because we're trying to reflect the situation in WC2 - and the Rapier in WC2 didn't have the ITTS system.

Back in the WC2 days i used to aim better without ITTS, but these days I'm almost helpless without it.

Which is precisely why we wanted to remove it from some fighters to match WC2, rather than just claiming that everything had been upgraded since the original games.

It's one of those things that everyone couldn't live without in "modern day WC", until you have no choice, and then you realize your early 1990's self is still alive and kicking Kilrathi butt. :p

Back