Rack 'Em (October 4, 2009)

3 1U servers in a rack???, well, storage for you guys is plenty, so I'd expected at least some sort of ISCSI or NAS Device present. Didn't you install them yourselves?(over here it is cheaper to just build your own servers and place them in maintenance of a data centre), but on the other hand, this site is running fine and it has for about ten years. :)

Didn't you install them yourselves?(over here it is cheaper to just build your own servers and place them in maintenance of a data centre

I'm not sure that's possible here, unless you have some sort of preexisting access to some sort of data center. The equipment leasing is part of the monthly bandwidth (and is it much different from country to country? anyone should be able to take advantage of the same offer we did, no matter what country they're from, since it's all virtual).

Anyhow, we've never physically installed anything - the hardware is sitting under a mountain a thousand miles away from any CIC staff member, which is why it's cool we're able to see the server for the first time here.

Amazing to see RLX blades almost 5 years after they've been bought by HP, but I know that The Planet has built their infrastructure around them since 04.

Europe does have some pure "housing" data centers, where you can drop in your own infrastructure, and sometimes even mount it yourself in your own little area. But that has about as much to do with hosting services as renting a U-Haul Storage box vs. a hotel room.

Always a strange feeling to see the physical location of a "place in the net".

3 1U servers in a rack???, well, storage for you guys is plenty, so I'd expected at least some sort of ISCSI or NAS Device present. Didn't you install them yourselves?(over here it is cheaper to just build your own servers and place them in maintenance of a data centre), but on the other hand, this site is running fine and it has for about ten years. :)
Only one of those is ours. With colocation, bandwidth costs are too high.

Ladies and Gentleman, the first ever NavCom A.I.! :p

No, no. You've got it backwards. The billions of calculations each second necessary to lead us through a black hole or a quasar is the Navcom recreation of the mind of a single Pilgrim.

:)

That's pretty nifty. It's still mad that all the information that used to be stored on CDs, Floppys, and even old VHS tapes are all in there. I remember seeing this image a while back of a comparison between Analog and digital storage.

Cool promotion though.

Back