Questions of my own

Death's Head

Spaceman
What is up with this Confed stealth fighter prototype in the 2669 GCM competitions? Is that the Excalibur?

How do autoslides work? Anyone want to theorize how such a system could be feasable?

Regarding the WC card game, is there a Strakha, Sorthak, or K'ha'haf card?

------------------
Don't look conspicuous-it draws fire.

Death's Head said:
What is up with this Confed stealth fighter prototype in the 2669 GCM competitions? Is that the Excalibur?

How do autoslides work? Anyone want to theorize how such a system could be feasable?

Regarding the WC card game, is there a Strakha, Sorthak, or K'ha'haf card?

1) No, it's not the Excalibur.

2) As I understand it, autoslide is simply deactivating the inertial dampeners, which is what makes WC fighters in space fly like atmospheric craft. Though not supported directly by canon, my theory is that only light fighters and uberfighters have it because of mass (low mass) and structural reasons (superfighters are built tougher), respectively. Again, though, that's not necessarly the explanation. Just mine.

3) Dunno, as I've never seen it beyond what's available for the card of the day thing.

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

Last edited by a moderator:
While I was looking around earlier, a complete listing of the cards can be found at https://www.wcnews.com/wcccg/cards.txt .

------------------
"Bring me this Morningstar project. Even if you have to spill blood to get it."

"Preferably, sir."

Any idea what this ship could be? Or is it another Vatari senario?

Good guess. WC physics can be so bewildering

I think you need intnertial dampeners to keep from being turned to human sludge pie at every high-g turn.

My theory is this, in the the case of light fighters, the low mass can be driven by simply vectoring thrust through specialized exaust channels created by a low power sheild grid.each engine port could have it's own generator, in essence it would be like a paramecium swimming by controlling it's tiny hairs.

Heavier fighter are a little tricky, keeping the speed of top afterburn without burning fuel in the exuast nozzeles, a mechanism we call afterburning turbofans, would be difficult because velocity would diminish soon. With the thrusters point in sometimes in any direction but what they normally, you would need magnetic or static fields to vector exaust in the desired direction, but because of the ship's higher mass velocity would grind to a near halt because in space exaust has very little matter to push off of.

Solution? close the hydrogen ram scoops temporarily, this will reduce drag so the ship can maintain velocity longer.

To you guys that put up the cards: if such cards exist, I would like to request them.
smile.gif

Oh I wish I had seen your post before I completed this. I see there are several Strakhas. Anyone got one of these? I looked through the cards here and I didn't find any of them, I did several cool cards though.
------------------

[This message has been edited by Death's Head (edited February 19, 2000).]

Action Stations explains a whole lot about how autosliding works with regular WC maneuvering. Death is pretty much correct.. when you close the hydrogen scoop fields (that force the ship to behave as if it were in an atmosphere) you get a something like what we'd know as real physics today.. and you can do various sorts of autosliding things.

Umm....you don't need matter in space for a jet to work. Newton's 3rd law...for every action there is an equal an opposite reaction.

Now I suppose by the 2600's, they'd be using electric propulsion for thrusters...much more efficient.

Will said:
Umm....you don't need matter in space for a jet to work. Newton's 3rd law...for every action there is an equal an opposite reaction.

Now I suppose by the 2600's, they'd be using electric propulsion for thrusters...much more efficient.

Actually, ion drives are the norm.

As for your first comment, while you don't need air for a thruster to work, the scoops, while open, do create drag, which means that you can't normally just set a speed and kill your engines, and expect to maintain that speed. You need to continually thrust to fight the drag, or else you come to a stop. (Simple in-game demonstration: set your top speed, then hit the backspace key to set your speed to zero
smile.gif
)

That, too, is Newtonian physics.
grin.gif

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

[This message has been edited by Death (edited February 21, 2000).]

I'm no expert on physics, but in space, it would take a heckofa long time to slow down at the speeds you travel, even with drag.

Also, in Action Stations it explains that the hydrogen scoop creates drag and (somehow)causes the craft to fly as if it were in an atmosphere. Without it, the ship's attitude can be changed on all three axis without affecting it's course and speed.

BTW, what's up with the speeds ships travel at. KPS? Wouldn't that take you down the length of a carrier in, say, a very short time?
confused.gif

------------------
"Hey, leader, why us?"
"Because we're here, lads, because we're here."

I believe the canopy acts as a magnification device. Klicks Per Second is the official designation, but I have heard it is KM per second.

Laser beams supposedly travel at the speed of light, and according to one of the guides, particle guns shoot bolts at near light speed.

I honestly don't know what's up, I think almost everything is under or over estimated. If a gun that uses say 10 nanojoules is able to penetrate 1.8 cm of durasteel plating, that either a very efficient gun, or durasteel could be considered to have a very low boiling point.

It seems to me that if fighters have small fusion reactors, they would have much more power to expend through blasters.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Death's Head (edited February 21, 2000).]

In WC1, WC2, and Acadmy it only has a range of 4800. In all others, even Armada, it has 5000-though velocities change(how do you change the speed of a laser pulse?).
biggrin.gif

------------------
Incoming fire always has the right of way.

The speed of light changes depending on what it is moving through... so maybe something is fired out with the laser (like some kind of gas or something...)

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

The laser has a 5000 range for just one, simple reason. If it didn't, the game engine would have to keep track of each particular beam as long as it was still large enough to be visible. If somebody holds down the trigger and spins around in circles, that's a lot of beams to keep track off... and in times of WC 1, the game would've ground to a halt as a result.

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

Yeah, imagine being in a dogfight with 10 Jalthis, you're flying the Raptor and firing your MD's and Neutrons all over the place. You finaly kill them all and auto to the Claw just to find it was blown away by your guns, even though she was 100,000 klick away.
smile.gif

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Lasers wouldn't be nearly as effecive from 100000 km as it would from 5000, because of refraction caused by the beam hitting stay hydrogen, and other gases, microscopic bits of rock, pieces of metal from stars gone super nova, and so on.

Besides, it wouldn't take too long for you to lose track of previous bolts, because you would have to know where to look and then magnify that region of space, especially with laser bolts.

Gas can be excited by a laser beam, but not carried by one, at least that's my limited understanding.

Mass drivers are not unlike bullets, I'll bet when they reach the end of their range(when the energy that propels the round can no longer push it), the mass that is knitted together would dissipate into space.

Neutrons are very small, but they will inevitably be deflected or absorbed by gas, stellar bodies, or decelerated enough that it would simply drift harmlessly in space.

If the tiger's claw was at risk of being deystroyed by stray shots houndreds of thousands of klicks away, it wouldn't last very long.

WC is like a sci-fi novel, writers are not bound in shakles and chains to abide by the laws of physics.

------------------
There's only one thing more accurate than incoming fire-friendly fire

If you throw enough pebbles at someone it would eventually kill them. If you had the patience and they were dumb enough to let you.

How so? You'd have to hit them in the head.
I know someone who will sleep through a tornado in their backyard-I think I'm going to try that.
smile.gif

The WW Mantas are red too-but you still need to eliminate the green Mantas before you start on the other ships because they have light plasmas-they do and will damage components.

You learn a lot about how effectively the Manta/Devil Ray team works in the Friends in Need mission.

It makes me angry whenever I hear "sloppy work people, damned sloppy", well sorry if I can't be in 6 places at once, each shooting at a Manta and having a Devil Ray blowing polarized tachyons up my ass!
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Death's Head (edited February 24, 2000).]

You learn a lot about how effectively the Manta/Devil Ray team works in the Friends in Need mission.

It makes me angry whenever I hear "sloppy work people, damned sloppy", well sorry if I can't be in 6 places at once, each shooting at a Manta and having a Devil Ray blowing polarized tachyons up my ass!
biggrin.gif

He he, well when I replayed SO few weeks ago I got that mission on my first try on the second hardest dificulty.
cool.gif
First thing you want to do is to take out the two Devil Rays quickly. Use one Swarmer on each and give them some salvos from full guns. After they're taken care off, use your nav map to go from one red Manta to another. Don't bother with the Stingrays for now. When you see a torp heading for a 'sport try to shot it down (it realy isn't hard) use one missile on each Manta and make every shot count. Also, when another two Rays show up DON'T fight them. There are still Mantas out there that need to be killed. Just try to evade their fire.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Back