Questions about The Making of Wing Commander III VHS Tape

Vinman

Vice Admiral
I just got a copy of WC3 Premiere Edition and watched the tape that came with it. For the most part, it is similar to the video on the Behind the Screens CD, but with more actual "making of" stuff.

I was curious about something. I saw a poster that looked like the cover of WC, but with Wing Leader on it. Do we know anything about that poster?

Also, if someone was to make a file out of the tape, would it be legal to put it on the CIC? Also, does anyone know how to make a file out of the tape? :D

Does anyone know how rare these tapes are?

One more little thing, I noticed during the section where they were talking about creating the AI, the guys were goofing around with CDs with a chunk cut out so that they looked like dralthi. Just thought that was funny. :)

I was curious about something. I saw a poster that looked like the cover of WC, but with Wing Leader on it. Do we know anything about that poster?
It was the name of Wing Commander before it got changed to Wing Commander.

It is actually the same video from Behind The Screens you just get a better quality video. So there isn't much point in actually posting a digitized file of it on the CIC except to offer a better quality video file, even though it would be illegal to copy and post up.

And the way I understand it the game started off called Squadron then moved to Wing Leader then finally to Wing Commander as to why I don't know, any thoughts LOAF?

It is actually the same video from Behind The Screens you just get a better quality video. So there isn't much point in actually posting a digitized file of it on the CIC except to offer a better quality video file, even though it would be illegal to copy and post up.

I believe we cleared posting a VHS conversion some years ago... and that's what Kris is linking to.

And the way I understand it the game started off called Squadron then moved to Wing Leader then finally to Wing Commander as to why I don't know, any thoughts LOAF?

Squadron was Chris Roberts' initial pitch. It was switched to Wingleader fairly early after a standard trademark search. The game was developed as WingLeader for quite a while and was shown at CES as such. Immediately after that they decided it was too similar to some other games on the market (Microprose's 'Wingman' chief among them) and switched to Wing Commander.

Here's the 'Wingleader' logo: https://cdn.wcnews.com/newestshots/full/wingleaderlogo.jpg

And here it is in some early screenshots: https://cdn.wcnews.com/newestshots/full/boxslides03.jpg

Also, the TrainSim in Wing Commander I is named 'Squadron'. If you wait long enough at its credits screen it comes up... and there's some mission's losing debriefing where Halcyon tells you you should go practice Squadron.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back