question on the Murphy class

Deacan

Commodore
So, whats that round "hole" on front of that destroyer (that blue glowing thing)? A tube for anti capship missiles or some sort of plasma gun???

I believe it's for capship missiles, though I could be wrong. It's been a while since this was discussed, so my memory on it is hazy.

So, whats that round "hole" on front of that destroyer (that blue glowing thing)? A tube for anti capship missiles or some sort of plasma gun???

A capship missile tube would be my guess, but I don't think that it was ever specifically identified as such.

From the Murphy document, it was a centerline Hull Mount Mk4 Heavy Plasma Cannon. The source of the doc is the lead designer, so it is possible that this feature was intended from before the development of the Murphy destroyer model.

Loaf's word regarding this source:

LOAF said:
These documents were created by John "Captain Johnny" Guentzel around the time of Wing Commander Secret Ops (he was lead designer on that project). The were prototypes for a project he wanted to develop - a complete "Joan's Fighting Ships" for the Wing Commander universe. Since they were never actually published, they aren't "official" (but you can bet anyone telling a future history of the Plunkett for some reason will *probably* refer to them).

You should also look at this thread here:

http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=19037&highlight=murphy-class

If I recall from another conversation with LOAF the Murphy was not - as is implied in this thread - create for WCSO, but instead was a separate creation that just happened to fill a need they had at the time.

So...keep in mind when you're interpreting the model, it wasn't really created with any part of it fulfilling any particular part of the Wing Commander Universe.

Also, I think there is a reference in WCP that the Capship missles are somewhat outdated at this time? I think this question has been asked and answered before somewhere.

I agree with... me.

If I recall from another conversation with LOAF the Murphy was not - as is implied in this thread - create for WCSO, but instead was a separate creation that just happened to fill a need they had at the time.

So...keep in mind when you're interpreting the model, it wasn't really created with any part of it fulfilling any particular part of the Wing Commander Universe.

Well, it's not like they found it on the side of the road and stuck it in the game--it was created by Wing Commander artist Sean Murphy, who designed the Midway herself (with which it shares a bridge!) among other things.

But yeah, the original plan was to reuse the then-unnamed destroyer and cruiser from Wing Commander III and IV for Secret Ops... the Murphy (and Plunkett) were separate projects that ended up being too cool not to include.

Also, I think there is a reference in WCP that the Capship missles are somewhat outdated at this time? I think this question has been asked and answered before somewhere.

I think this reference is actually in Wing Commander III, for which the damn things were created in the first place. Victory Streak claims that capship missile racks are on "older" ships. They're one of those weapons that fans got a little /too/ excited about since they make such a big bang... :)

The Midway does fire 'training missiles' in WCP... and, IIRC, the Nephilim have their own brand of capship missiles in WCSO that would obviously not share any evolutionary history with those used by Confed/Kilrah.

... the tube could also be for launching fighters!

I agree with... me.

Well, it's not like they found it on the side of the road and stuck it in the game--it was created by Wing Commander artist Sean Murphy, who designed the Midway herself (with which it shares a bridge!) among other things.

But yeah, the original plan was to reuse the then-unnamed destroyer and cruiser from Wing Commander III and IV for Secret Ops... the Murphy (and Plunkett) were separate projects that ended up being too cool not to include.

I think this reference is actually in Wing Commander III, for which the damn things were created in the first place. Victory Streak claims that capship missile racks are on "older" ships. They're one of those weapons that fans got a little /too/ excited about since they make such a big bang... :)

The Midway does fire 'training missiles' in WCP... and, IIRC, the Nephilim have their own brand of capship missiles in WCSO that would obviously not share any evolutionary history with those used by Confed/Kilrah.

... the tube could also be for launching fighters!

So sorry LOAF, I looked for the original conversation we had about this (I remember you saying almost exactly what you said above) but I just couldn't find it.

In regards to that separate project - was that a WC project? Or was it something else? Because the Plunkett seems to fit nicely in with WC Craft, the structural shape of the ship reminds me alot of the transports from WC3 (more the Kilrathi ones then the confed ones!). The Murphy less so, but I do think the Murphy fits nicely with the Midway.

And yeah, there is at least one mission in WCSO where I remember taking out capship missiles being launched from a....Hydra? I think.

Actually it's WCP - there is the mission near the end where you intercept capship missiles fired by the tiamt drednaught

Bug Capship missiles were used in both WCP and WCSO, actually.

Though really you could the feature for any of these purposes, but the ship does look like an upside-down gun. Reminds me of those dreadnoughts where the ship (or a major chunk of it) is a gun with engines, crew quarters, and bridge attached.

ah behemoth, how we loved you!

As someone was reminiscing about the other day in another thread...I sometimes find myself missing those headed debates we had on a.g.w-c or here at the CIC.

Oh how we spent endless hours bashing/loving the big old B. Only to learn that she was not the only one, but now (2701) their wreckage are only threats to navigation. How times have changed...

Back