Question: In Your Opinion, what era...

Death's Head

Spaceman
If you had been trained and in Confed/BW service and were alive during one of the WC eras, and you had a choice, which one would you want to start your carreer in? If you could, explain why. No wrong answers here so feel at liberty.

First choice: Peacetime
biggrin2.gif

Second choice: Prophecy era: Better survival chances.

I'm in it for the money
smile.gif

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, my choise will be during wartime, so I'll know what I'll be getting into: If the time is Peacetime, you don't know who's your enemy, and you have less combat experiance.

------------------
Evilution!

So No Regret does it for the cash, it's not just a job, is that it?
smile.gif

Hey did you get that email I sent like a day or two ago?

Well, I would have liked to start off in Confed before the Kilrathi War, so during the War I could have been part of the brass and able to kick around the scrubs.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

I woulda started my career in the WC 3 era all the way throught til Prophecy

------------------
There's No Point In Ho's If You Can't Share 'Em With Your Bro's

I would have my career WC3- WCP. From WCp on I would like to do some privateering.

------------------
Robert "Meson" Stukowski

Wing Commander is more than just a game. It is a lifestyle.

Hero said:
Well, my choise will be during wartime, so I'll know what I'll be getting into: If the time is Peacetime, you don't know who's your enemy, and you have less combat experiance.

You`d like to participate in a real war, Hero? you like watching your friends and family die horrible deaths?
Believe me, I`ve been there on a small scale, not a pretty sight.

DH: The problem with asking this type of question, is that in the WC era there is no peacetime (at least not in any of the games, or novels). If there were it`d be a pretty boring game. There is always some sort of skirmish somewhere to make things interesting. It`s part of the game.

MH, if you serve during the Black Lance affair, odds are you would not have seen any combat. Your carreer would be about ten years by SO, which was the first time the bugs were known to have been in Confed space. Even then, few systems were touched.

Let's be serious. I'm not exactly military material. But I hear there's always openings in the Diplomatic Corps.
smile.gif
Tell you what. You guys do all the fighting, and I'll write the peace treaties, eh?
smile.gif

However, if I was good enough to serve in the military, then I would like to serve in the WC2 period, either in a Ferret squadron, or a Broadsword squadron.
Oh, and WC2 is most definitely not as scary as ol' "we're-losing-on-all-fronts-and-you're-our-last-hope" WC3
smile.gif
. And WC4... <shudder> getting killed before you even see your enemy? No, thank you.

Mad Hatter said:
You`d like to participate in a real war, Hero? you like watching your friends and family die horrible deaths?
Believe me, I`ve been there on a small scale, not a pretty sight.

Gee Mad Hatter, you really got me interstead
smile.gif
You see, I where I live (BTW, where do you live in if I may ask?) in, the situation is bout the same as the one you described: My country is in a state of a small scale war (which is still a war), and I'm about to enter my military service next year, and probably will become an infantry fighter in enemy teretoray (a job I have no problam with, and I'm trying to get into the air force or to a special unit), so I'll guess I'll find out soon enough what you're talking about...
And as for that, well, what did you expect from a war? I know that if I'll go into fights some of my friends won't come back and maybe even I won't survive (and as stupid as what I'm about to say sounds, I have no problam with my death - I don't WANT to die, but if that'll happen, I rather it'll happen when I'll be out there fighting for my country). It's war - people die. All I can do is try to do my best and keep my friends' @$$ and mine safe.

This is how I see it - this point of view might change when I'll experiance the real thing, but I doubt it.

Wow! talk about patriotism, I didn`t know there were any of those kind left in our little country.
I`m in the same country as you are, and if I`m not mistaken, according to the last time I checked the newspapers you won`t be going anywhere out of the country, at least not for a while.
smile.gif

DH: although in comparison to prior wars the BW war was small scale, I think there was still a pretty good chance you`d participate in it if you were a confed pilot, and even a bigger chance if you were a Border Worlder. Remind me how many people died on that planet where that genetic manipulation virus thingy was released?

Mad Hatter said:
Wow! talk about patriotism, I didn`t know there were any of those kind left in our little country.
I`m in the same country as you are, and if I`m not mistaken, according to the last time I checked the newspapers you won`t be going anywhere out of the country, at least not for a while.
smile.gif

Good to see another one, you're the 3rd one to post in the CZ from our little "holy land"
wink.gif

Even if we'll get out, I'm pretty sure we'll go back after a few monthes - they (our "enemy") will see this withdraw as a victory to their side, so they'll say:"Hey! We're winning this thing! Let's send people to their teretory and blow some s**t!". Following to their bombings, will send in our Phantoms to flat their cities, they'll retaliate, and eventually we'll be back in their teratory in the same, if not worse situation. We basiclly have the same situation as the one in "Starship Troopers" - We can "nuke 'em back to the stone age", but that won't help win this war.

That's, atleast, the way I see it
biggrin.gif

Heh, you can't go back, Hero
smile.gif
. Barak wouldn't last very long, and generally, prime ministers like to last as long as they can. So, when (not if) you pull out, that's it. As for the Lebanese, I don't think they'll be all that much interested in raiding you (except of course for those extremist milita groups... but you've got those too)... I mean, all those decades of war (unlike you, they didn't have a chance of beating their enemy in six days, and resting on the seventh
biggrin.gif
) will have left them pretty much tired out.
But of course, you might know different, and if that is the case, be sure to correct me.
smile.gif
After all, there is only so much that one can learn about any place from a distance.

Quarto, I didn`t know you were so well versed in Israeli politics.
smile.gif

I don`t think we`ll be going in the same way we did 18 years ago; we`ve gotten so much used to precision strikes we won`t want to risk anymore soldiers getting killed in futile raids into enemy villages.

[This message has been edited by Mad Hatter (edited May 12, 2000).]

Of course Quarto knows such thing, evey Mod here MUST know them
wink.gif
HEHEHE, I'll never forget that shot you took at the goverment of the USA, saying our little country can push them around, eh Quarto?
biggrin.gif

Well MH, I'm pretty sure after sevral bombings like the one we had in Disingof centre a few years ago, people won't mind going back there.

Now Quarto, you mostly got it right, but Isreali politicians knows exactly how to get elected: They make alot of promises. So soon enough someone will come and promise to go back (and all the people who didn't want to leave WILL elect him, and I believe that's enough for him to get elected) and we shell (I'm really not in the mood to discuss this right now, so I'll explain myself later
smile.gif
).

I actually don't care if we'll go back or not: I'll just do what is asked form me. I have no problam serving during wartime or peacetime. I'm nutral to the situation.

Hero said:
Well MH, I'm pretty sure after sevral bombings like the one we had in Disingof centre a few years ago, people won't mind going back there. {/B]

You mean, won`t mind sending other people back in.
frown.gif

Back