Question for Wing Commander Swamis

FrostyNSO

Spaceman
In the space of 10 minutes, how many fighters can each of the following "carriers" launch in an emergengy?

1) Tiger's Claw
2) Concordia from WC2
3) Victory
4) Lexington from WC4
5) Intrepid
6) Vesuvius
7) Ella Superbase
8) Midway

I don't know the answer, and I can't say that I recall 4, 6, or 7 at all, but, #7 caught my attention because "ella" is Greek for an informal hello (IIRC). Was that coincidence or intentional?

There's not much data from which to calculate something so specific. We know that the Bengal-class ships (Tiger's Claw) can launch their entire complement (104 fighters) in twelve minutes and that the Confederation-class ships (WC2 Concordia) can launch eighty fighters in half an hour. I wouldn't venture to guess about any of the others.

I don't know the answer, and I can't say that I recall 4, 6, or 7 at all, but, #7 caught my attention because "ella" is Greek for an informal hello (IIRC). Was that coincidence or intentional?

Nope, it's named after Ella Enchanted:

ellaenchanted.jpg

Actually, yes, it probably was intentional - many of the WC4 location names are taken from Greek mythology (Hellespont, Tyr, Telamon, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, Tyr is the Norse god of war and justice. The one handed god who lost his hand in an attempt to bind the Fenris wolf (a successful attempt at that). In old English his name is Tiw, and his day is the second of the (modern) week.

There may be something Greek with that name as well, I'm not sure. :)

Bloodspray said:
Hmmm, Tyr is the Norse god of war and justice. The one handed god who lost his hand in an attempt to bind the Fenris wolf (a successful attempt at that). In old English his name is Tiw, and his day is the second of the (modern) week.

There may be something Greek with that name as well, I'm not sure. :)
Tor ,or Thor id you want, is the god of war. Not Tyr...

But I actually wanted to contribute something not so really far meandering off-topic; I just hit the post button a little too quickly.

A thing that baffled me when I first thought about the question: Was there ever a "serious" explanation why fighters need a barrel-shaped launch bay?

Not that I object - it's adds a lot of flair to have that "Final Countdown" flightdeck feeling with people running to their fighters, and screaming along the deck. But why? They could just be dropped in zero-g, face any direction when leaving, leave quicker...

I could think of some good science-fiction excuses why the barrel-launch flight deck is and advantage, but maybe there already is one in the plethora of material.

Fenris Ulven said:
Tor ,or Thor id you want, is the god of war. Not Tyr...

Well, most of our norse forfathers gods were gods of war. ;) But Tyr was the god of war. I think Odin was as well. (Not sure about this though.)

criticalmass said:
You should know better, Fenris...

Thor is the god of thunder and lightning, and a son of Odin. Odin is the boss of Tyr, who's the god of war, and who also was the only one courageous enough to feed Odin's wolf.

QED: http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Tyr

Fenris Wolf was not odins wolf.... The fenris Wolf was one of the three sons of loke... dont know what you call him in english, but the bad guy and clever one.

Fenris Ulven said:
Fenris Wolf was not odins wolf.... The fenris Wolf was one of the three sons of loke... dont know what you call him in english, but the bad guy and clever one.

Loki. At least, that's all I ever heard him called.

IIRC, it was something about an attempt by all the gods to secure him (the Fenris Wolf), and they lied to him telling him it wasn't permenant, and he agreed only if one of the god put his hand in his mouth while he was being tied. Tyr stepped up to do it, and when it was revealed that he couldn't escape, the wolf bit Tyr's hand off.

Not sure how accurate that is, but that's what I recall hearing/reading. Also that Tyr was the god of war before Odin (historically speaking, not necessarily within the timeline of the myths themselves), and also the god of stern justice.

Just googled it, found a cool site - http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~cherryne/myth.cgi/Tyr.html

About the question... That would greatly depend on the situation, wouldn't it?

On WC4, the Victory's capabilities of scrambling fighters seem to be very limited to zero.

Delance said:
About the question... That would greatly depend on the situation, wouldn't it?

On WC4, the Victory's capabilities of scrambling fighters seem to be very limited to zero.

Well it is a musuem now and not an active carrier so that could the main reason.
(had to do that delance simply typo is just too easy to pass up)

I wanna say HotT might speak briefly on or atleast mention in an indirect way how many fighters the victory can scramble.

A point that should be taken under consideration is that of the crews ability as well. In ER Bondarevsky talks about how the crew needs more training in order to get the fighters up faster (at first they were absolutely horrible) we can't assume every fighter carrying ship in the fleet to have a top notch crew that can crank out fighters as fast as actually possible.

Remember, everything is a lot more complicated in the books, if only to satify Forstchen's blood lust. The guy loves gruesome accidents and killings.

Edfilho said:
Remember, everything is a lot more complicated in the books, if only to satify Forstchen's blood lust. The guy loves gruesome accidents and killings.
Well, you know, stuff like that tends to happen in war :).

Definitelly... But Forstchen makes even normal, non-combat flight operations result in catastrophic massacres very easily. He's at his best in his own Ice Prophet series. people die horrendous detailed mutilation-related deaths by the dozens.

I'm pretty sure that Forstchen didn't invent the idea of carrier takeoffs and landings being the most dangerous type of flight operations.

I'm pretty sure carrier take off and landing procedures are really difficult and dangerous. Even in games it's REALLY complicated to pull them of.

But I'm also pretty sure all SPACE take offs and landings in the WC games were neither difficult nor dangerous... Both operations are difficult because of stuff like stalling and lift. You find neither of them in space... Especially when your ship can hover gently even above planetary surfaces (with gravity).

Also, Space carriers are not submited to stormy seas and stuff like that. there are no waves that I know of to rock the ship. No winds either...

I can't see why it should be as hard as the books portray. In no games we face this kind of problem. Of course, how could I know how things will work in the 2600's? Well, a bit of logic AND the stuff I've seen enough things in the games that fit my conception. WC3 and 4 landings are quite easy to do, and they don't strike me as being absurd.

Back