Question about rank

Worf said:
You got my vote. I've never understood why people obsess over postcounts. In another forum, they had a poll on whether to keep displaying them or not. People seemed to have wanted them by a factor of 2, for the same fallacious reasoning.

The only real way is to have a voting system on whether a poster was useful or not, but the participation rate has always been low on those.

I've never really cared for postcounts myself, mainly because rank does not necessarily equal maturity.

Youth and wisdom are rarely combined!

Seriously, though, you're absolutely right - amount of time someone has posted to the Word Game Thread at a Wing Commander message board is absolutely unrelated to whether or not they have anything intelligent to say (G)

(And you have to believe me, because I have 10,000 posts!)

Yeah, the wordgame is kind of fun, but shouldn't count for total postcounts. Maybe we could have an "Off Topic 2" for very small, short and useless msgs. :p

Hehe, no problem man.

As for off-topic post-counting... Well, wheter you're posting a reply to the word game, or to Quarto's Manuscripts On Communist Evilness And Capitalist Goodyness, chapter XLVII, your post still isn't really contributing to a WC-themed community. :p

(Not that having 2000 posts in the other forums necessarily means you've contributed a lot... but it's certainly harder to get away with 2000 useless posts in General WC Chat :p)

LOL. Well, personally I don't care for postcount anyway, but my rank does say something about the fact that I'm still missing about half of WC...

Bandit LOAF said:
Youth and wisdom are rarely combined!

Seriously, though, you're absolutely right - amount of time someone has posted to the Word Game Thread at a Wing Commander message board is absolutely unrelated to whether or not they have anything intelligent to say (G)

(And you have to believe me, because I have 10,000 posts!)

I wasn't saying anything about the Word Game Thread. I was talking about any message board.

That's how the vote in another forum went. They wanted to keep the postcounts going, but they included the "off topic" forum as well. Sort of the revenge of those who didn't want post count displayed.

OTOH, none of the other forums I check have something like the Word Game going...

Postcount and join date are what I would look for when searching a board. I've been here for a while now and it makes it easier to see who usually has something to offer. my postcount is small but I spent a lot of the intervening years just reading and not posting

I must admit that, while the word game can be fun, it seems unfair that it counts to the total.

I vote we just make a second off-topic zone for stupid stuff like the word game, but keep the other stuff--to count toward # of posts.

An off-off-topic zone? Look at the General and Off-Topic zones, for some people it's already hard to understand what thread goes where.

Back