Question about future of Saga

Exarch

Spaceman
I was thinking (scary), and would there be any chance of some sort of persistant online universe with planet capture much like Armada? A website could be used to host the universe map and automated to change ownership of worlds much like what is done at many of the MechWarrior leagues. There would be two sides, Kilrathi and Confed (maybe throw in the Border Worlds for good measure), and then several fleets or "clans." Fleets would move from system to system, but can only move one system at a time during a 24 hour period. When they encounter an opposing fleet, a match can be scheduled to see who ends up controlling the system. And then Saga could be used for the combat engine.

I imagine the game is still a ways from being finished, but I thought I'd just bring the idea to all of you.

To tell you the truth, that's kinda over reaching right now. The boys are already having enough trouble trying to get the game out as it is.

Hmm. Good idea, but let's wait to see what Saga has going... if Im not mistaken my grades are going to suffer around the time the demo comes out, even...

As Psych said..nice idea but we have enough work atm to do to get things running.
Maybe we can think about it when the final version is released and we have much more time.

gevatter Lars said:
As Psych said..nice idea but we have enough work atm to do to get things running.
Maybe we can think about it when the final version is released and we have much more time.

Thanks, that's all I ask. :D

SpaceDrake said:
Yes, this sounds like an excellent "sequel/expansion to WCSaga" idea. Let's get the main game working first.

hmm... somebody would have to write a software for this thingie... it is out of my hands.

But basically it is possible. I think I have mentioned that Wing Commander Saga is going to be the first WC game, which will feature multiplayer support :D

Here's an example from the MechWarrior league I play in just so you get a full idea of what I was talking about. http://www.mechwarriorleagues.com

EDIT: Oops, first link didn't work for whatever reason. Just go to the link and at the top of the screen is a menu. Go to Leagues, then Planetary League, and you'll see a screen discribing what it is, and a link to the map that is used. Frankly, our Planetary League sucks IMO as far as the rules go, but this is the basic idea I was talking about.

What they have a Widowmaker clan...mh seams somehow influenced by MWDA...Ravenalliance...Elementar Sprits...seams as if I have to dig up my Mechwarrior games again ^_^

About the System...its realy interesting...maybe we should invest some time into something like that when the first release is done.

Widowmaker's around in Dark Age? is it a remnant of the original Clan? cuz i know it was absorbed by Clan Wolf. i dunno what's in Dark Age<im assuming that's what you mean by MWDA> cuz i've never played it

To my knowledge, but there is no Widowmaker clan in MWDA.

But if I remember correctly, this is a Wing Commander forum, not Dark Age. ;)

Yes it is WC...just me going offtopic as usual ^_^
So last time offtopic for me to answere the questions

MWDA = Dark Age
Widowmaker -> Not in MWDA but in the League.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok and now back to topic.
Can anyone find out how these games (the League) are organized?
It would be a realy interesting idea haveing something similar for WC. Problem would be that we have to make a lots of ships player flyable..special the Kilrathi ones so that we have Confed, Kilrathi, Borderworlds and Pirates.
Beside that we had to think about what Timeline to use or if we use an ongoing timeline...would mean that over the time you can have better other fighters. That would be intresting...starting in WC1 and ending up in WC4 over the time.

Oh man I could think about a quite complexe system with squads, carriers, resources for the different carries...and and and.
Man that would be enough for a complet project of its own ^_^
But first we need to finish some things...name the game itself...makes me wish that we would allready be finished.

But basically it is possible. I think I have mentioned that Wing Commander Saga is going to be the first WC game, which will feature multiplayer support

Two published games (Armada/Proving Grounds and Prophecy GBA) feature multiplayer support... and a number of fan mods have as well (WCZone and Fleet Action come to mind).

How can you know without having it touched even once?. I think Tolwyn ment that WCS would be the first WC MP capable game playable over the internet(I think there was something for Armada too, a TC/IP emulator or something, but is quite a hack)

But they are inferior to SAGA.

I haven't played Saga, but both Armada and Prophecy are very impressive games.

(I think there was something for Armada too, a TC/IP emulator or something, but is quite a hack)

Armada's free addon, Proving Grounds, could be played over the internet using one of those DOS-based IPX-simulating online services (years and years ago).

1994 :)? Proving Grounds adds a bunch of new multiplayer modes, the coolest asteroids ever to appear in WC, some weird new technologies (anti-cloaking guns!) and IPX Network play.

Back