PSP Modding/Hacking

cff

Kilk'dymga'qith laq Ik'vikvi
Does anyone of you have any experience with the semi legal aspects of the PSP (running homebrew, downgrading firmware,...)

Semi-legal aspects? A good one is that you can throw a PSP through the window of a jewelery store, and then take all the necklaces and stuff it allows you to access.

Be quick, though!

You can sell them for a lot of cash... The police won't be happy about it, though.

I don't have a PSP anymore but I know that you can't run any homebrewed apps/launchers on the PSP if you've upgraded the firmware beyond (I believe) 1.51? So you need a PSP that hasn't been updated or your options will be severely limited.

A good place to check out would be www.psp-hacks.com

You don't need to have 1.5FW anymore. I know that 2.71 works while running HEN-D.

Mostly I know this from just reading about it. Don't have experience as I accidentally upgraded my FW to the newest when I got this thing.

But, with the new Dev-Hook, you can Emulate the new Firmwares up to 3.03.

If you have 2.71, you can downgrade back to 1.5, then upgrade to 3.02 OE-B. (Thanks Dark_Alex!). Then you can run 1.5 homebrew and the upcoming 3.x homebrew and PSX games, and regular games.

Why? To run WCP Advance on the PSP for example... Almost there, but not quite (the intro works, but the game itself crashes).

I don't have a PSP anymore but I know that you can't run any homebrewed apps/launchers on the PSP if you've upgraded the firmware beyond (I believe) 1.51? So you need a PSP that hasn't been updated or your options will be severely limited.

Its 2.71 by now (at least for most stuff as far as I understand, including the GBA emulator I am toying around with due to lack of EA Replay around here ;-) ). Some homebrew ever runs up to 2.82 or something like that.

I find this downgrading thing really confusing... They don't update the explanations when a new mothod shows up.

Good question. I honestly don't know. Is runing Linux on the XBox legal or illegal? Pretty much the same question.

(many of the homebrew stuff is illegal on its own account, as they copy from copyrighted games or use game roms that 99% of users won't own in reality, but that is another question entirely).

PS: I've got WCPA working in the meantime. A slight bit jerky, but runs wonderfulyl :))

The console is your property, however since you are treating it in a manner wich it was not meant for, you lose warranty, you violated a license agreement.
So you are no longer able to play online, using the manufactors network, or get any support, and if the manufactor disables your system, when you attempt to use his network, he practically has every right to do that

But, what about converting a game you do own, or downloading a rom when you own an original cartridge? or a freeware game?

Would it be okay to get Standoff or Saga running on an Xbox?

Say a .xbe was ever compiled, for prophecy, would CIC host it?

and if the manufactor disables your system, when you attempt to use his network, he practically has every right to do that

No, he definitely hasn't. No manufacturer is allowed to kill your machine. He can disallow the use of his service, but not kill the hardware entirely.

The console is your property, however since you are treating it in a manner wich it was not meant for, you lose warranty, you violated a license agreement.
So you are no longer able to play online, using the manufactors network, or get any support, and if the manufactor disables your system, when you attempt to use his network, he practically has every right to do that

But, what about converting a game you do own, or downloading a rom when you own an original cartridge? or a freeware game?

Would it be okay to get Standoff or Saga running on an Xbox?

Say a .xbe was ever compiled, for prophecy, would CIC host it?

Neither Standoff or Saga require prophecy or another full game to play. The secret ops starter pack is needed for standoff so why would there be any issues hosting another version? Saga is based on the code fore Freespace two which was made public (the source code)... But making the port to the Xbox is probably more trouble than it's worth anyway.

As long as it isn't being "shipped" with a full game like prophecy or with all the secret ops episodes as well, there aren't any real issues here.

So standoff, yes; Prophecy, no.

I'm sure we'll see someone running a Wing Commander game on the XBox sooner than later.

Especially considering a release like EA Replay. That just smacks of EA testing the waters for future installments of classic games! Heres hoping.

Back