PS2 SOCOM Hell Week

psych

Destroyer of assclowns
I'm a little surprised (ok, I'm very surprised) they actually did this, and that it got cleared through the proper channels.

Basically, 16 video game players who liked to play the SOCOM: US Navy SEALs series, flew to lovely (ha :eek: ) Coronado, for five days of getting the shit kicked out of them by actual BUD/S Instructors. And it all starts off with those legendary two words: "Drop Down!"

I would recommend seeing the extra scenes in addition to the episodes so you can see it all: the intensity, professionalism, pain, and most of all, the sick humor.

http://www.socomhellweek.com

Personally, I find this quote very amusing. "Hopefully some of my gaming experience will help me stay alert and follow instruction." WTF

Yeah a bunch of videogamers going to get the shit kicked out of them...Sounds sad.
In other news I saw this thing on the Royal Marines, their training sounds alot like BUD/S

I don't see what is so "restricted" or "classified" about hell week - heck the Discovery channel runs a documentary on it every few weeks or so.

Watching the first few minutes, it looks like it was a simulated training exercise - Sony paid for a few ex-SEALs to provide the instruction. Since Sony already had Navy SEAL contacts for SOCOM, well, I'm sure it wasn't too hard to find instructors. The military in general tends to be acommodating to most reasonable requests on their terms (i.e., don't interfere with normal business, stay out of the way of active exercises and missions, obey all rules, regulations and orders given, and give the military veto power on your project).

Also, I seem to recall there are physical training programs based on SEAL boot camp that a number of people sign up for to lose weight and stay fit.

That said, it's an interesting premise.

Some of them are still active duty. One lead our PT in Indoc. Which is why I'm very surprised.

I just watch a few bits and pieces and I think some of these gamers are in for something they are not prepared for.
Gaming is one thing, but training for the real thing is somewhat different,
Welcome to reality boys

Somewhat different? I was in Naval Sea cadets when I was 15 and we went through a mock-up SEAL training. I was sore for almost a week and a half afterwards. The real deal would most likely kill me.

Dahan said:
I just watch a few bits and pieces and I think some of these gamers are in for something they are not prepared for.
Gaming is one thing, but training for the real thing is somewhat different,
Welcome to reality boys

No, welcome to a very structured field trip where experienced professionals carefully walk you through a training course.

No, welcome to a very structured field trip where experienced professionals carefully walk you through a training course.

Strutured field trip ? I agree
But I probably speak for some of the Aussies here back home that are SOCOM fanatics and if they see this they would jump at teh opportunity (not saying that any would) but a majority of them would not know what they are getting themselves in.
Honestly speaking some of the "kids" are think they are top s**t and think they can hack it and all and personally I feel sorry for some of them if they went through and fail miserably.......

It's all structured and organized. Controlled chaos.

Anyways, Episode 3 is up. They are getting surf tortured, at night. Definately not a morale boosting evolution.

They will respect the ocean.

I saw the trailer and it was quite interesting. A friend of mine in the Australian Navy told me of the intense training he went through for the Navy Special Forces (I don't know the exact term) and he didn't regret going through it as it prepared him, mentally, physically and physcologically

Episode 4 is up.

This was already said in another forum, so I won't get in trouble for saying it. But Instructor E and Instructor F (from #4), are both Indoc Instructors. I have a few funny ass stories involving them.

I wish they had subtitles, I can't hear some things they say. Those guys a in pretty deep... Psych, what Ass Stories do you have about those instructors?

Instructor E likes to assume that every Asian BUD/S trainee is automatically a foreign exchange student from Singapore. Draw your own conclusions.

So it's done and over. And the little frail guy made it to the end, while the trash talking Marine was long gone.

Back