Props and Worries

Chernikov

Spaceman
First off... textures have improved a LOT. I especially like the red splattering on the wings of the Jalkehi - still stylized, but bloodlike enough to look really vicious.

I did have a question or 2 about your Ralatha model though... in the screenshots section comparing textures and size relative to the twin laser turrets between the Ralatha and the Kamekh it looks like the Ralatha is almost as small as the Kamekh, not the 3* that it shows in the stats, and is missing a lot of bulk in the rear body. Is this a trick with perspective, or should I pray that the Ralatha bulks up a bit before release?

Yes, I know that I havent done much modleing and that I should start if Im going to be making commentary. :p Is there someone that has time to help me out with some problems with texutring that I havent seen covered online yet?

The Kamekh and Ralatha are definitely to scale... the reason why the turrets might indicate otherwise is because the turrets on the Kamekh have been scaled down - otherwise, they would be way too huge compared to the rest of the ship.

Chernikov said:
First off... textures have improved a LOT. I especially like the red splattering on the wings of the Jalkehi - still stylized, but bloodlike enough to look really vicious.
Thank you, thank you :p

Chernikov said:
I did have a question or 2 about your Ralatha model though... in the screenshots section comparing textures and size relative to the twin laser turrets between the Ralatha and the Kamekh it looks like the Ralatha is almost as small as the Kamekh, not the 3* that it shows in the stats, and is missing a lot of bulk in the rear body. Is this a trick with perspective, or should I pray that the Ralatha bulks up a bit before release?
Well, you're right about the size of the turrets making both ships look the same size, but they're actually scaled properly - the turrets aren't. We had to do this because we can't make turrets too small in corvette-type ships (Kamekh and Venture) since they start to disappear from random angles... Don't worry, however, the ships themselves are all scaled properly. To give you an idea of the Ralatha's scale, that hangar opening on the back of the ship is large enough to fit a Sabre, a Crossbow, a Gladius, and other ships like that (up to 35m wingspan or so).

However, about the back of the Ralatha being bulkier... Well, I'm not sure wheter you meant that compared to the size of the Kamekh, or compared to the rest of the Ralatha, but anyway... there's no perspective trick, that's how it is. :p
It does look light compared to the front section, or even the engine pods (with a small and flat ship like a Stiletto you can even fly between the 3 tubes that connect the front section to the back section) but that's really how it is, at least from what I could tell from the reference material I got from WC2.

Chernikov said:
Is there someone that has time to help me out with some problems with texutring that I havent seen covered online yet?
Texturing is tricky. It was the last thing I learned, and mostly by trial and error... I started learning it from a friend, and then he became too busy to teach me so I just took it from there. He had uploaded a tutorial to www.xwaupgrade.com once, with basically all the stuff he had taught me over ICQ, but I don't know if it's still there or if the site still exists.

on everything but the bulkiness: Great, thanks for the info. :)

On the bulkiness: from the sprites in WC2 I was under the impression that there was a little more there than the basic, cylindrical hull that I saw in the screenies... and if the hangar is in the back, whats the big hole in the chin of the front?

If you're reffering to the scene with the Hha'ifra, Thrakkaths Flagship, that isn't a Ralatha, notice it has six engine nacelles and is larger. It is some type of Cat Dreadnought

Yep, what he said... So the Ralatha doesn't actually have that big hole in the front section.

(I think the Hha'ifra from WC2's cutscenes is a Rigakh-class ship).

As for the back of the Ralatha, I've attached one of the sprites from WC2... it's the bottom view of the ship, so you can see that it's basically 3 brown tubes (connected by 2 thinner silver structures). These pretty much spawn from the 3 thin silver tubes that connect the front section of the ship to the rest (between these are the gaps which I said are big enough to fly thru with the Stiletto).

Attachments

• ralathabottom.png
    ralathabottom.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 94
Actually, I was commenting off of the sprite in the CIC's Ships Database section... I can see how the multitube thing is set up, it just wasnt clear from the screenies. Apologies.

No problem... I must admit the shots I took of the Ralatha for the website aren't the most enlightening either :p

I'm just waiting patiently for the day when I can fly a broadsword against that ralatha . . . and watch bloom into a false dawn, leaving behind only wreckage and an expanding cloud of escaping atmosphere, smoke, and short-lived tongues of flame.

The texture with the front windows on the Ralatha appears to be a bit "warped", if you catch the meaning.

Back