Prophecy sceenshot

GeeBot said:
What, don't you remember how to get to the weapons cache? I must have run across it in my first few hours of play. It's right behind that asteroid base in the same system as--whoops, almost spoiled it for you.

A bit more seriously, though, I recall someone wondering what had happened (in Righteous Fire) to that Exploratory Services chick that doesn't try to screw you over (for once) in Privateer. A quick look through the dialogue file revealed that she had been replaced by Vincent, or some thug like that. So no, she definitely doesn't exist in Righteous Fire, if anyone was wondering.

You're kidding about that asteroid right? I've been search for that sum'bitch forever, does it exist? Or you're just pulling our legs?

He's kidding, there's no asteroid (although there's some indication that the comment is meant to refer to the Steltek derelict where you pick up your super-gun).

Yeah, I was kidding. Sorry to mislead you. IIRC, you never got to see what a Steltek look like. But I have this vague impression that maybe you did, like in a comm or something. Anyway, I remember something teasing about the Privateer encounter...

Yeah those Steltek look pretty funny, weird voices too. For an all powerful race I don't understand why they would even bother with negotiating with you. You know what I was thinking about doing was flying back out to Delta Prime to see what happens but I was thinking i would just be out of fuel with no place to refuel. Any comments?

It would be pretty nice to have all games in DVD-Rom format these days. A decent DVD-Rom drive is pretty cheap, even for us poor brazillians. And that brand specific shit of yore is gone for good too.
CD swaping really sucks, it seems we're at the same place we were in 1990, when you had to swap one bazillion diskettes to install a game.

on a different subject, would the WC3DO play in a pc with an emulator?

DVD-Rom games would make pirating it a little bit harder, because DVD Recorders are still expensive.

Downloading a DVD should be harder, and converting the game to a smaller format demands work and reduces quality.

Delance, is that good or bad? :)
Well, some people would HAVE TO start paying for games, but hey, nothing stays out of those cracker groups for long.

And I do not condone piracy, as everyone knows.

Edfilho said:
But are the disks recorded by those inexpensive recorders compatible with every player?

As long as you use a plain DVD-R or DVD+R, almost any player in the last 4 years or so will work with them. DVD+R is a bit more compatible with older players, however.

good to know. I really hate the standard wars that show up when a new medium appears. RIP, Betamax.

Meh, Beta is still very much alive - in all aspects of video production. It's just not used in *home* theater much.

BetaMAX is not exactly the same thing as BetaCAM SP...
I worked a lot with this kind of stuff last year and the first half of this year. Modern Beta stuff is quite high res, and there's also digital Beta. But the ole good BetaMax is quite dead indeed.

The main problem with DVD recording isn't the drives anymore, it's the media. When you're talking about dollars per disc, rather than pennies, that's a significant issue. Also, DVD recording isn't as widespread as CD recording, so there's probably not as much demand for DVD images.

On the other hand, considering that pirates are distributing multiple CD images, and that the capacity of a DVD is only a few times that of a CD (rather than the hundreds of the floppy->CD switch), it's probably only a matter of years before they start pirating whole DVDs.

I'd still like games on DVD-ROM, but mainly as a convenience. The crazy thing is most games are installed to the hard drive these days, and yet they still require you swap CDs to run the damn things. Stupid copy protection.

There was an obscure port of Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance to the pc a couple of years ago, and it was released on DVD-Rom only. the weird thing is that minimun install was around 3,9 GB...

How did the whole thing with using , or . as the decimal separator come about, anyway? I've always wondered why people managed to come up with different systems for that.

Back