Prophecy Movie Upgrade Patch Released (October 24, 2006)

Well then, you need: wcpep_Release1.zip, wcpmoviepatch_testrelease.zip, OpenGL-WCP_setup.zip and the vobs from the movie archives

1)install prophecy
1.1)make backup (optional)
2)copy content of wcpep_release1.zip to prophecy folder, overwrite when asked
3)DON'T use the new install.exe! instead:
4)run opengl-wcp_setup.exe, follow instructions
5)copy wcphr.dll from wcpmoviepatch_testrelease.zip to prophecy, overwrite
6)make "movie" folder and put the DVD movies there
7)use oglsetup.exe whenever you want to change your graphics

Voila: OpenGL, starfields, DVD movies! looks like you all did an even better job than you thought.
Maybe some steps are redundant, but it works for me (WCP Gold, XP prof).
Now to my initial question: is there a way to make ffdshow stretch the movies to 1600x1200 so they play fullscreen in that resolution? Or is the movie resolution hardcoded in the dll, because prophecy doesn't seem to care for my filter settings.

Now to my initial question: is there a way to make ffdshow stretch the movies to 1600x1200 so they play fullscreen in that resolution? Or is the movie resolution hardcoded in the dll, because prophecy doesn't seem to care for my filter settings.

I think the issue is partly the dll and partly the video files. Basically IIRC the black bars are hard coded into the VOB files. So it's a 4:3 file with black bars. The dll probably won't stretch it beyond the height of your screen. If you re-encoded all the VOBs cropping them as you go and adding something to tell the the software player that the images are widescreen, then it might work. The other option would be to make the dll stretch the image to the width of the screen and center the height (thus artificially cropping as you go).

i don't really care for the black bars, the screenshot shows my problem (the problem is not the movies being black, that's just because prtsc doesn't work with vobs. just imagine the movie being played in the upper left corner).
Now preferably i'd like the movies to be scaled along the selected game resolution. i already tried that with the ffdshow settings, but Prophecy overrides those.
If that's not possible, then hopefully i'll find a way to center the image at least, with just black around it. Or JUST center it so i just have to use a black desktop wallpaper.
I was hoping someone might help me out before i re-encode all the vobs in 1600x1200 just to see that the dll rescales ALL movies to 1024x768

Edit: Prophecy keeps all my ffdshow settings regarding sharpening, post processing etc., but won't allow upscaling.

Attachments

• wtf.jpg
    wtf.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 205
I might give that a try when the next OpenGL patch for Prophecy is released. I'm pretty sure the current Prophecy release doesn't implement screen captures properly, though the version used in Standoff obviously does.

should be simple enough to add german audio to english files. As long as the video file is the same length as the audio file you want to use (timewise) if that's the case you can automate the entire process.

~~~ once again, i don't have problems with screenshots or the language, it's just that when i play a resolution higher than 1024x768 the full motion videos don't scale up but play in a window in the upper left corner. I don't care for the resolution much, but watching the video in a corner of the screen with my desktop showing all around it is not very pleasing to the eye.
Now of course people will say "play in 1024x768 with AA, game still looks awesome". I currently do and it does, but i hate it when there's such a small problem, with the solution seemingly within grasp.

Heya,

(Sorry for being away, things have been complicated for me ...)

The problem you describe is definitely not standard behavior. The movies should be full screen, adjusted to your monitor geometry: if the monitor is 4:3, the widescreen video should be centered, and if it is widescreen a best effort is made to make it fit while still leaving some space for subtitles. The black bars on top and bottom of the videos are always cropped (at least in the latest build of the patch...).

I'm going to look into the issue and try to get the DVD patch to cooperate with the OpenGL patch. I'll try to have a new DLL ready in a couple of days for testing, hang in there! :)

Mario

Hi,

Can anybody tell me is there a difference between wcpep_release.zip and wcpep_release1.zip? I see the latter is addressed in these instructions, but I can't seem to find it anywhere for download.

I managed to get the game running with movies earlier, but the starfields were ugly, the fog was not selectable and the lens flares had crosses in them. Oh, yes, the subtitles were not working on the high res movies. They would just show for a moment and disappear.

Now I tried to install it again to fix this starfield thing with this new OpenGL patch and now the exe crashes with some memory errors on start. I did set the compatibility to Win95 for both the game and the installer.

Any suggestions are welcome. I'm running WinXP and have 8 GB of RAM if that influences anything.

Thanks.

ijozic: I'm not sure if it is important if you use wcpep_Release1.zip or wcpep_Release.zip, i just said what i used and what worked for me. You can find it here http://hcl.wcrevival.de/wcpep_Release1.zip . Or you could wait for HCl to release his new and undoubtedly awesome patch in a few days. You should uninstall and delete your Prophecy folder completly (backup your save files), reinstall and try again. A wrong .dll or prophecy.exe can make all the difference. As for the subtitles, this could be related to the codec your system uses for decoding vob files.

HCl: Thanks, a lot. Just wanted to say that haven't played Prophecy again since i ditched my 3dfx card, Direct3d just looked plain awful. I'm not all graphics, played the older games a lot since then, but Prophecy virtually hurt my eyes. Thanks to OpenGL i can finally play it again, and the Hires movies make it even more enjoyable.

I managed to get the game running with movies earlier, but the starfields were ugly, the fog was not selectable and the lens flares had crosses in them. Oh, yes, the subtitles were not working on the high res movies. They would just show for a moment and disappear.

Now I tried to install it again to fix this starfield thing with this new OpenGL patch and now the exe crashes with some memory errors on start. I did set the compatibility to Win95 for both the game and the installer.

Hey there, Plebe! :D

Funny thing, I've joined this forum like yesterday with the very same problem. Eventually, everyone was busy blasting bugs out of the sky so I had to scrape for solution myself. Here's what you should do:

- Reinstall Prophecy (make sure you don't remove your 'movie' folder).
- Backup root Prophecy directory (just copy all the files in a folder named 'backup' or something - this will enable you to restore original Prophecy files quickly).
- Copy files from wcpep_Release1.zip into your Prophecy folder, overwrite everything.
- Overwrite wcphr.dll in your Prophecy folder with one from wcpmoviepatch_testrelease.zip.
- Install OpenGL-WCP_setup.exe, make sure it's version 0.4 (can be seen in window title after you press Install button) and configure it to your liking.
- Set Windows 98/ME compatibility mode for prophecy.exe and make sure you check 'DISABLE DESKTOP COMPOSITION' - this makes subtitles to appear normally.
- Enjoy!

One more problem I've encountered with this install and/or my system - the movies only play normally for the first time they're shown. Maybe you will have this issue, maybe not. If so, I've found a workaround - run the game in window (use OGLsetup.exe to configure OpenGL patch) in your desktop resolution. You'll only have a window title on the top of the screen, and I even think that goes away after some time, too. Or maybe I just stop noticing it.

Also, if you have problems with movie playback, try playing around with 'Interlaced movies' option in-game.

Good luck!

As for the subtitles, this could be related to the codec your system uses for decoding vob files.
No, it couldn't - the subtitles aren't in video files at all. It's just the way they're rendered with HCl's patch, which can be problematic on some systems.

Hey there, Plebe! :D

Funny thing, I've joined this forum like yesterday with the very same problem. Eventually, everyone was busy blasting bugs out of the sky so I had to scrape for solution myself.

I'm still at the crashing problem. I think I had that before, but I can't remember how I solved it. The previous install was working yesterday evening, so it's not the drivers or anything.

Edit: If I choose the Software mode or the D3D, then it runs (but the high-res movies are not showing; just their sound; also the music track skips in the game). It only crashes when I run it with that OpenGL 0.4 selected. I have an Nvidia card.

I'm still at the crashing problem. I think I had that before, but I can't remember how I solved it. The previous install was working yesterday evening, so it's not the drivers or anything.

Edit: If I choose the Software mode or the D3D, then it runs (but the high-res movies are not showing; just their sound; also the music track skips in the game). It only crashes when I run it with that OpenGL 0.4 selected. I have an Nvidia card.

I know it sounds stupid, but did you try updating your video card drivers? Sometimes helps, even if you think you have the newest. Now black videos could really be connected to your video codecs. Could you open one of the vobs with Gspot and tell us what codecs are listed there?

I know it sounds stupid, but did you try updating your video card drivers? Sometimes helps, even if you think you have the newest. Now black videos could really be connected to your video codecs. Could you open one of the vobs with Gspot and tell us what codecs are listed there?

Hmm, I'd rather not if I can avoid it. I'm running a laptop and I had problems finding the set which has the least PowerMizer problems. They're not that old, either, maybe a few months only.

I just ran GSpot and opened one of the WCP's vob files and it says only AC3 for audio and MPEG-2 for video. If I go specific, it is using ffdshow, but the subtitles filter reports some errors in the GSpot. Video and Audio tests of the WCP file I loaded are working, though.

hmm thats odd. usually when your system plays them correctly, so should the game. Do you have a player that uses directshow filters (so, not VLC) to play vobs? You could tweak your ffdshow stettings, but if you didn't change anything there, there shouldn't be any problems.

Here is a new version of the WCP DVD patch, please give it a try and let me know if it solves your problems. New features:

- Some bugfixes
- Should work fine with the OpenGL driver, both in full screen and windowed mode.
- Looks for movies both on the installation directory and on the DVD drive detected by WCP. If you want to burn a DVD with WCP and the HD movies, now is the time!

Please note: Direct3D and Glide support have been dropped. This shouldn't be an issue, however, since i don't think anyone is using these anymore (strictly speaking, Glide mode *should* work, but hasn't really been tested with the new code)

There are now several multiplayer/hires/opengl patches floating around. It'd be really helpful if somebody typed up instructions on how to get from a plain WCP to the best possible result. Something like we did here.

Last edited:
following problems to be reported be me now. Followed the instructions for the new OpenGL EP Hybrid.

1.) Skipping BUG.
Maybe this is really really stupid to report but what the hell. You skip for example a movie in Pilot Country, the game returns to the menu but the movie is still running in the back. If you talk to that person again, the movie reappears (does NOT start from the beginning again). If you go to the briefing too, you can have two movies playing on top of each other, skip the briefing and the launching sequence, and you can have fucking four movies at the same time, while flying of course :)
Not installing the patch isn't a very smart way to do it.

2.) Problems with Resolution.
Playing 1440x900. The ingame cockpit scales me down to letterbox format (sucks) BUT gameplay actually seems to be full screen, the nav cross for example is actually displayed inside the black sidebars.

Back