Prophecy HiRes movie problem in Win98SE

nospam

Spaceman
Hello all,
I have 3 old Win98SE systems that I play all my old games on. One has a TNT card, one has a Matrox G200, and one has a G400 with Voodoo2 SLI. I have been trying to play Prophecy (Original Prophecy Gold CD version NOT GOG version) with the HiRes movies and I am having the same problem on all 3 systems. The game plays fine in HiRes but the .VOB movies don't. When a movie is supposed to play the audio plays but the screen is black or it will kick over to a low res movie which plays fine.
The HiRes movies play fine outside the game using a media player such as VLC. If I switch over to subtitles in the game options the video crashes immediately with a .dll page fault error. It's the same symptoms on all 3 systems. Is the HiRes patch not compatible with Win98SE? The fact that it plays in VLC and plays audio without picture makes me think that it's a problem with a call to the mpeg2 codec (mpeg2decfilter.ax)
I have followed all the standard installation steps (several times)
1. install movies in "movie" folder
2. install enhancement pack
3. install moviepatch test release file
4. install mpeg2dec codec (in both win system folder and prophecy folder) received "success" message.
5. installed ac3filter
Does anybody have any other suggestions for getting the videos running?
Relevant specs are listed above, and running DX 8.1 on all systems (not willing to change), one AWE64 and 2 SB Lives

Can you play the movie files outside of WCP using windows media player or WinDVD?

I believe I have solved my problem. I googled for another mpeg2 player for Win98 and came up with "Stinky's mpeg-2 codec" (I'm NOT kidding!!) and I uninstalled the recommended mpeg2decfilter codec and installed "Stinky's" and it works! I get a stutter once and awhile but so far it plays the HiRes in game.

Yes, VLC is a media player like WinDVD and the movies play fine in that.

I am aware of what VLC player is, and as far as integration with codecs tend to go, VLC makes rules of its own... WinDVD adds it's codecs to WMP that makes things go from there. Good to hear you resolved your issue.

I am aware of what VLC player is, and as far as integration with codecs tend to go, VLC makes rules of its own... WinDVD adds it's codecs to WMP that makes things go from there. Good to hear you resolved your issue.
Sorry Mace, didn't mean to insult. I don't have WinDVD on any of the systems. I do have old oem versions of PowerDVD (not installed) do you know if that would add codecs to WMP or would it be independent like VLC? Thanks for your response and help!

Hey nospam would you mind sharing the other hardware specs of your legavy systems, like cpu, ram, etc?
I just love talking about hardware from the golden times :)

Sorry Mace, didn't mean to insult. I don't have WinDVD on any of the systems. I do have old oem versions of PowerDVD (not installed) do you know if that would add codecs to WMP or would it be independent like VLC? Thanks for your response and help!

No insult... But VLC just does a lot things differently.. If you can get the movie to playback under WMP, it should work normal in the game too.... K-lite was always a recommendation... http://www.oldapps.com/k-lite_codec_pack.php?old_klite_codec=67 <this version was the final support for windows98SE..

IIRC the forums contain several complete solutions, however for win98SE.... did you turn the directdraw acceleration all the way down in dxdiag?

Back