Prophecy Cutscene can only see part of image

Getius

Chief Petty Officer
I did the HD pack install for GOG version of Prophecy and when the cutscene plays all I can see is the upper left corner of the cutscene and it fills up the screen totally.

Hi @Getius - I recall having this issue too. It stems from the fact no official release of Prophecy ever supported DVD video - it was patched in later by dedicated fans. As a result, it's not quite as simple to get the HD pack up and running as it is with WCIV.

The good news is this is fixable - but off the top of my head, I don't entirely recall how. I believe there's a modified DLL or other patched file you can drop in which addresses the issue. @Pedro, @DefianceIndustries, @ShadowArm, @marco999, do any of you guys recall what it is?

I did the HD pack install for GOG version of Prophecy and when the cutscene plays all I can see is the upper left corner of the cutscene and it fills up the screen totally.
Actually, I had another thought on what might be causing this, @Getius - by any chance are you using a very high resolution display? Like around 4K? You might potentially be hitting an issue where some applications don't play nice with Windows DPi scaling - where your DPi scaling setting is set to 200% but the application ignores this, so you end up only seeing 1/4 of the image filling the screen.

Just as a diagnostic measure, try this:

1. Go to Windows Settings > System
  2. In the display settings, look for the "Scale and Layout" section and make sure "Change the size of text, apps and other items" is set to "100%":
    WCsupport001.png
  3. Try not to be alarmed if everything ends up tiny on your screen
  4. Run Prophecy and see if you still have the issue with the FMV
Let me know if that helps, and I'll try to figure out a way to apply it just to the Prophecy FMV player, so you don't have to do this every time you want to play the game. Sadly, applying a DPi/scaling exception to Prophecy itself may not help, because I think the DVD patch plays the videos in a separate application.

Try the above though and let me know, and we can take it from there :)

Sorry I already have it set to 100% so I tried changing it to 1920x1440 and I still have the same problem. My monitor is a 2k monitor.

Sorry I already have it set to 100% so I tried changing it to 1920x1440 and I still have the same problem. My monitor is a 2k monitor.
Ah, damn. Back to my original request to the guys above, then.

Can you walk us through what you did to get the game running in the first place? Did you have the various upgrade packs working correctly with the DVD videos before trying to swap to the upscaled ones? Which patches did you use and in which order did you install them?

EDIT:

I should ask, is your monitor ultrawide as well? (21:9)

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the aspect of my monitor is but it is a 32 inch monitor. I copied the enhancement pack into the prophecy directory, making sure not to overwrite the Prophecy exe and the dll file. I created the movie directory and copied the VOB files into it. Then I ran the Opengl patch.

Hi @Getius - in that case, what result to you get if you set your DPi scaling to 100% and your resolution to 1920x1080? Oh, and if you're using @Pedro and @PopsiclePete's OpenGL patch, don't forget to use that to set your in-game resolution to 1920x1080, just to see what happens.

OGLSetup.exe should be set to full screen and the monitors native resolution. And you want to use the dll patch which is floating around here somewhere.

Okay the movies play now. But during the movie the cursor for the desktop appears on screen and the game minimises after the movie ends.

@Getius If I could ask: what files did you use, and in what order did you install them? I want to give Prophecy another go too. It has been a decade, maybe more since I played it.

@YCDTD I copied the enhancement pack into the prophecy directory, making sure not to overwrite the Prophecy exe and the dll file. I created the movie directory and copied the VOB files into it. Then I ran the Opengl patch. Sorry for not replying sooner I have not checked the forums until now.

Back