Prophecy Advance

Saturnyne

Vice Admiral
I took a look at the new screenshots and noticed that the icon for the decoys was there. It made me think.

What exactly is the control scheme for the game? I mean, the SNES version's controls were limited enough. What functions are and aren't available in game flight?

I don't know particularly about the controls, but the weapons and afterburners could be handled through use of the shoulder buttons, with communications/nav/damage reports being handled via a popup menu (the action would pause).

However, from looking at the screenshots, I did notice two significant changes to the ships.

First, the scale distance and ship speed (at least without afterburner) has been cut in half--notice that the Tigershark is listed as having a top speed of 240 kps and an afterburner speed of 1200 kps.

Second, armor seems to be no longer separately simulated. Instead, each ship's core hit points has been greatly increased--the Tigershark is listed as having 520 core hit points. Heavy ships will probably have more hit points--probably like 800 for the Vampire and 1200 or so for the Devastator. This will affect flight tactics since you can no longer take a hit in the front and then turn tail, counting on your rear armor to protect you.

They had to reduce the ship speed internally for playability reasons, but the game will display the correct stats.

About the controls , maybe they are gonna be just like PSX WC3/WC4 was!

Combination of different buttons

Originally posted by TCSTigersClaw
About the controls , maybe they are gonna be just like PSX WC3/WC4 was!

Combination of different buttons

I would expect them to keep it simple. I would go with something like:

Fire guns: A button
Fire missile: B button
Cycle guns: R+A buttons
Cycle missiles: R+B buttons
Afterburner: L button (press and hold)
Autoslide: R button (press and hold)
Drop decoy: Select button

Communications, targeting, nav map, and damage report/control would be accessable via a popup menu opened by pressing the Start button (game would pause while the menu is open).

Originally posted by Saturnyne
how would you increase/decrease speed?

Oh, right.

In that case, make Autoslide be L+R (press and hold), and:

Increase speed: R+Up
Decrease speed: R+Down
Cut throttle: R+Left
Full throttle: R+Right

Why would you want Autoslide? It's not nessessary or utilized a great deal. Heck, was it even in WC:p?

Originally posted by LeHah
Why would you want Autoslide? It's not nessessary or utilized a great deal. Heck, was it even in WC:p?

Speak for yourself. It's not just for flying across Kilrah quickly.. I used it lots in WCP. It was great flying past a ship stripping turrets.

Yeah, the double-mission involving stripping the dreadnought was a lot easier with autoslide on your Vampire.

Yeah, autoslide becomes kind of precious when it comes to larger ships.

There are four buttons for them to work with... A, B, L and R. You can technically say 8, since select could be used in combinations like in the SNES version. But even so, that's still a pretty limited control scheme. Guns, missiles, accel, decel, autopilot, afterburn, comm. That's all I see being available. And then you still have to cycle guns and missiles (if it will be allowed) and all that. How fun.

Originally posted by Saturnyne
Yeah, autoslide becomes kind of precious when it comes to larger ships.

There are four buttons for them to work with... A, B, L and R. You can technically say 8, since select could be used in combinations like in the SNES version. But even so, that's still a pretty limited control scheme. Guns, missiles, accel, decel, autopilot, afterburn, comm. That's all I see being available. And then you still have to cycle guns and missiles (if it will be allowed) and all that. How fun.

You can do all of those except autopilot and communications with two buttons, though... guns is button 1, missiles is button two plus button one, speed is button two and up or down, afterburn is double click button two. Also, communications is better done as a popup menu that shows up when you hit start (along with nav maps and such)

In a very round-about way... It wasn't really subject to any large degree of consideration on their part...

The way I understand it is another party asked if they could make a port of WC:p to the GBA and demonstrated the power of their game engine via "Star Giants". EA was impressed, and granted them the ability.

Am I close?

Back