Prologue Released!

I can now see how pathetic my hardware is... when Mission 4 ends and you can see the interesting details on the flightdeck... several of the animated "things" showed up as pulsating rectangular solids L-O-L! I'm guessing they were fires!

This sounds like the transparent texture didn't work on your GPU. Do you use OpenGL or DirectX mode? Did you update your GPU drivers? I had a lot of issues on my subnotebook until I updated my drivers :)

Btw, you should really consider installing the asteroid fix, it speeds things up a little.

Now, what if you moved a bunch of the com chatter into the time flying between navpoints? The way I see it, that would kill two birds with one stone, and would also make sense. I think that pilots would mainly chat during the long, dreary parts of the missions anyway.

That would be a bit unpredictable. The 64x time compression can cause severe problems (see asteroid issues on low end computers). Unless there will be a code solution: it is possible, however very tedious, to use cutscene SEXPs to achieve the flyby effect, then reset the position of al ships involved.

But the problem is that I can't find them in my system32 directory. I'll try looking again though.

I could upload them for you if you have a 32 bit system

For example, UE was *hard*, and you are not making me believe that Quarto never finished his own missions. ;)
EDIT : And thus, anybody who can finish UE/Standoff isn't that bad a pilot. I agree that designing UE and Standoff doesn't make him a Sternenwind, but he can't be that bad a pilot.
The thing is, the longer you work on a game, the easier it becomes for you. In fact, it's one of the biggest dangers of game design (one which, IIRC, we fell for in UE) - after you've worked on a game for a while, you get so used to your own missions, that you start to think they're easy. So you try to make them harder, and harder... and in the end, when you're finally satisfied that they're hard enough, you release the game and everybody who hadn't played it non-stop for two years tells you the game's impossible to finish :p.

In short, I haven't got any trouble finishing any UE or Standoff mission. But I'm definitely not the kind of player that breezes through Secret Ops on nightmare.

The thing is, the longer you work on a game, the easier it becomes for you. In fact, it's one of the biggest dangers of game design (one which, IIRC, we fell for in UE) - after you've worked on a game for a while, you get so used to your own missions, that you start to think they're easy. So you try to make them harder, and harder... and in the end, when you're finally satisfied that they're hard enough, you release the game and everybody who hadn't played it non-stop for two years tells you the game's impossible to finish :p.

That's exactly the reason why we conducted the beta test in the first place. The game was fairly polished by that time, but: during the beta test we rebalanced missile weaponry on AI fighters. I.g. usually one direct hit was enough to destroy the Arrow or leave it heavily damaged. We were used to it, but it could became very frustrating for an unexperienced player on long missions (such as the 5th).

I just want to congratulate the Saga team on a job very well done. This game is polished, professional looking and loads of fun. The good combination of WC2 and WC3 music served as an excellent backdrop for the most fun I've had dogfighting since Wing Commander IV.

*SPOILER*(I don't know what the spoiler codes are for the board...)

The loss of the Wellington the final mission brough about a response in me that I didn't get from a Wing Commander game since the Concordia is shown crashed on Vespus. To get so far and then right at the end we couldn't save her....it was quite compelling. Kudos to the entire team.

I did have two minor questions:

1. Is there any way to make the speed indicators show true WC speeds instead of the FS2 speeds which have been scaled?

2. Can you eject....?

the freespace speeds aren't actually scaled in so far as i know, the ships travel at meters per second speeds, which in the grand scheme if things is about the best speed a ship in space is going to be able to run around at if we could actually build ships to fly like they do in wing commander. 300 kilometers per second puts you from here to mars in about 14 days, and if you kick up to any afterburner speed around 1,000 kilometers per second 4 days. The way distances dropped in WC from the last time I played, they argued speeds were not really kilometers per second, but meters per second you were flying around at with KPS displayed.

anyway, still a good job.

I just want to congratulate the Saga team on a job
Is there any way to make the speed indicators show true WC speeds instead of the FS2 speeds which have been scaled?

That is one of the minor features we are working on :) I.g. true speed will remain the same, but we will multiply speed values by factor X, thus displaying WC values. We had this feature almost completed this summer, but it broke some other part of the code and so we were forced to remove it.

Can you eject....?

Not at the moment.

I too lost mission 2 at that "form on my wing" part. Things ended so abruptly I thought I had mistakenly hit an escape key or something. Seeing the same thing posted here though makes me wonder.

In any case, what an amazing job you guys have done. It really feels like a new WC game has been released and not just some mod.

it looks like it is possible to activate the autopilot even if you aren't close enough to the TCS Aurora.

I'm trying to relearn the Freespace controls - when I noticed something truely terrible. None of the buttons on my joystick allow me to barrel roll. When I tried to change the control schemes - it seems you need to map two seperate buttons (one to roll left, one to roll right) which is the most utterly absurd thing I've ever seen.

Is there a way to correct this - or did I just miss something again and profess to my own idiocy?

I've played the first mission, and I want to say congratulations!

I really like the SCP, it made FS2 even more awesome, and now we can have some of the awesome in Wing Commander too.

I had no trouble with Saga so far. Thanks for everything.

Found a bug on the second mission. Right after launching from the Wellington I started playing with Shelton slide. I found that I could maintain high afterburner speed by using the slide, and I slid in that way behind the carrier for awhile. Once I was pretty far behind the carrier I terminated the slide, targeted the aurora, and started flying towards it. Seconds later, I'm booted out of the mission and given the debriefing you get when you fail to remain in formation later in the mission.

How far away were you from the aurora?

Yeah and as for controls...the number of targeting keys is ridiculous. :eek: It also took me awhile to change most of the key-maps...at least the ones I use anyway.

I for one ignore most of the targeting keys... or other keys for that matter. All you need is "H" and "B", sometimes "S" and "K".

Yeah, same here. I am curious, though,

Are Hobbler and Floyd susposed to die in the last mission? Cause when I replayed the mission both of them made it until the cruiser fight in which one died at the start and the other had to eject right after the last cruiser was destroyed.

IRT key bindings: What I do is move all of my bindings to the right side of the keyboard, as well as ALT and SHIFT modifiers. I have my thumb placed on alt, and one of the side buttons on my mouse is mapped to shift (you can also map this to a joystick button, providing your software will let you). In this way, I can keep my left hand always in one place without needing to move it around.

Back