Projections on a release date?

Still waiting to play this one...it may be the only mod of the recent three I can run on my pc. :( Privateer Remake locks up about 5 minutes into the game and I can't see any of the equipment to purchase, Standoff runs but also locks up indiscriminantly (I'm assuming it's an XP issue). I do know I can run Freespace 2 though...

Greetings, faithful fans! This is just a quick update on our progress towards releasing the Wing Commander Saga Prologue. We are in the last months of our game dev cycle and despite our widely divergent schedules and area or Country codes, the experience has been well met. There are some house cleaning things and last repairs to take care of before we can go to the next step.

I'm sorry, but although new screenshots were promised, I have not had the time to prepare them. Rest assured, however, that they will be updated before week's end!

Our bug-hunting efforts have progressed well during the past weeks, and we are happy to say that the delay has been positive - the final release of the Prologue will be a much cleaner game than it would have been.

I hope this has helped clear up any confusion. As always, if there are any questions or comments, let us know! Keep the faith - Wing Commander Saga Prologue will be soon available!

@Tolwyn
Oh man you know how to keep us busy...telling them anything from soon release and so ^__^

Well their has been quite some progress...
Frigate, Destroyer and Cruiser class ships have been updated and carrier will follow
(aka Caernaven, Sheffield, Tallahassee and Ranger)
I am also waiting to see the final results on the Ranger experiment...if it works...well you will see.

On my own department I am developing new shine-maps that give the model some nice details when watched in the right light.

Starman should have nearly all Missions ready and the voiceaction also seams to get finished.

Their are also some new HUD graphics in development and music and sound FX.

That all sounds like a lot of progress but it also is quite some work...means that we have to do quite some bughunting, cleaning our folders and so.
So Tolwnys "soon" is still quite relative (ok I am passimist ^_^ )

Yes, but I think this time when Tolwyn says "soon," it actually means what most people think by the word "soon." :) Of course, since he's an Admiral he gets to have a little freedom with definitions. But, it really is close (that doesn't mean the rest of the work to be done is easy, though).

gevatter Lars said:
On my own department I am developing new shine-maps that give the model some nice details when watched in the right light.

Didn't you have some problems with those earlier?

Thats right thats why I am doing new one.
If you mean the general lightning...well thats everyones personal thing.
At the moment the taste ranges from Ambient ~70, very dark but realistic to ~100 which is more like the WC3 lightning and you can even see the details on the "dark" side of the ships.

At the moment I have asked not to release any pictures of the things I am working on, cause I don't want to give the people any hopes and then I can't keep up to what I promised.
If it works out well you will become a complete picture collection.

Dyret said:
Didn't you have some problems with those earlier?

nope, we had no problems because we had no real shine maps :D Just placeholders.

And speaking of my definition of the word 'soon': Soon means that the game will be released BEFORE the Winter 2666.

Seriosly: the delay had a very positive effect. The most important achievement is that the game is completely stand alone now. :D

Chicken said:
It's probably asked before, but is there going to be some multiplayer mayhem?

but of course. The team will test multiplayer functionality during the next week.

Yes, by winter 2066 I should have enough free time to actually play the thing! :) I can understand that everyone is tugging at the reigns (believe me, I feel the same way). However long it may be, I really feel comfortable saying that it will be worth the wait.

Sphynx said:
Yes, by winter 2066 I should have enough free time to actually play the thing! :) I can understand that everyone is tugging at the reigns (believe me, I feel the same way). However long it may be, I really feel comfortable saying that it will be worth the wait.

You surely mean winter 2666 (it was not a typo :)).

Ah, yes. Winter 2666. Maybe I'll have enough for retirement by then (although I can't vouch for my flying reflexes at that age! :) ).

Tolwyn said:
...the game is completely stand alone now. :D

It's great that you guys have made it possible for people without FS2 to play this mod, but I'm interested to know if there will be a version which will run off an existing FS2 installation (i.e. I already have FS2) in order to minimise the size of the whole package. There are no problems at all if it will be stand alone only... I was just wondering :).

You should be able to run the mod with your installation of FS2, but their could be some problems...for example with your pilot. Using your old Pilot you would loose your "savegame" of the FS campaine.
Also the differance in size without the FS2 files is small...when you have allready downloaded the rest of the mod the FS files just take a small part...I guess about 2-3% of the entire pack.

Thanks for the replies. That's surprising. I would have thought that the freespace files would have taken up more space than that. An extra 20MB is nothing for a modern hard disk, so I guess I'll just stick with whatever you have done.

I'd also like to add that I'm really looking forward to this mod. You have done a great job from what I have seen so far.

As for the FS files, let's just say that in WC Saga, a whole lot of files have been replaced by the team members. You'll be very surprised, and pleasantly so, I believe. Let's just say I think it is a very nice blend of WC, FS, and a little bit of personal style from the creative team. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

luminon said:
Thanks for the replies. That's surprising. I would have thought that the freespace files would have taken up more space than that. An extra 20MB is nothing for a modern hard disk, so I guess I'll just stick with whatever you have done. .

I guess you misinterpreted me: I was talking about compressed data package :D Uncompressed it may range between 50-100 mbs. These are mostly interface files, that will be replaced by our own interface only by the time the full game will be released. Until then, we are going the same way as The Babylon Project. We are using FS2 interface as a template and add a fancy render as a background.

Back