Progress Update #2

Well, the main reason to call it something else it to avoid confusion - and this is more of a cameo than a main-role.
Chris: I was actually thinking maybe something along those lines, but we were actually going to have modular cargos for the Drayman - one of which would be the Diligent. Those two models are pretty much identical in every way - except the sort of cargo they're hauling. Don't think it didn't cross my mind, though...
t.c.cgi: The reason it looks a bit like the Clydesdale is that the SWC Drayman model has harvested some of the model bits from the WC2 Clydesdale model. It's really just a re-arranging and re-texturing of those parts. I could post a comparison, if you'd like?

Well, the main reason to call it something else it to avoid confusion - and this is more of a cameo than a main-role.
Chris: I was actually thinking maybe something along those lines, but we were actually going to have modular cargos for the Drayman - one of which would be the Diligent. Those two models are pretty much identical in every way - except the sort of cargo they're hauling. Don't think it didn't cross my mind, though...
t.c.cgi: The reason it looks a bit like the Clydesdale is that the SWC Drayman model has harvested some of the model bits from the WC2 Clydesdale model. It's really just a re-arranging and re-texturing of those parts. I could post a comparison, if you'd like?

I don't see why the modular design of the drayman couldn't all just be draymans. After all A container ship is the same ship no matter what kind of containers are on top of it. I would personnally cast my vote in calling the SWC model a Diligent (A bit of a side question: Is the movie diligent simply called Diligent or is that it's class too?) Similarly, Big rig trucks don't change name because of what kind of trailers they're hauling.

Did someone stick you in a cave with a PC and feed you only when you made great models Howard? The way your churning these out, and at such quality, that's amazing.

Yeah, with Drayman/Dilligent, we have two names for basically the same ship. So I thought using Dilligent here would be a convenient solution now that we have two ships both with that same name.

Okay - Chris has convinced me! Diligent class it is! I didn't quite understand what he was saying the first time round - my fault. :D
So this is as far as I got this evening. I still have some additional windows to do on the surface, as well as the two turret mounts. I need to come up with a new smaller style turret for these corvette-sized ships - the capship ones are just too big. And too obviously powerful. Anyhow, something to look into tomorrow. I will say this: I really like this design. It seems more...functional than the other ships I've been making lately.

Attachments

• Scow03.jpg
    Scow03.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 321
  • Scow04.jpg
    Scow04.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 266
  • Scow05.jpg
    Scow05.jpg
    462.5 KB · Views: 280
  • Scow06.jpg
    Scow06.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 317
Its indeed more simple. A tank for cargo, fuel...whatever...and some engines attached to it and you are done. A clean and simple design. It might not win any beauty/design contests but its a freighter that looks like it gets the job done.
Again greate work on the model.

PS: Whatever you are taking to work so fast, I want it too ^_^

Okay - Chris has convinced me! Diligent class it is!

Next decision is the spelling. :) Diligent is the proper spelling of the word, and we use it in a lot of our materials (from the ships database to the current front page poll), but I double-checked and it's two L's in the game. Halcyon's dialogue speech, your Hornet's nav map and the in-flight targeting computer all spell it Dilligent. The Confed Handbook refers to the Movie's Errant as the Diligent though.

gevatter Lars: Thanks! I'm just watching various tv shows as I work - that tends to keep me focused. AS I've done these, I've watched the complete seasons Farscape, Star Trek Enterprise, and Boston Legal. I'm now watching Penn and Teller's Bullshit. Anyhow - just something to watch as I work.
Dundradal: Glad you like!
Chris: Well, I'd like to go with the correct spelling - but that's just me. Seems easier to do that, than to explain it every time someone says "Hey! I found a typo!"...
So here's a more complete version.
Going to start work on a new corvette-sized turret.

Attachments

• Scow13.jpg
    Scow13.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 290
  • Scow12.jpg
    Scow12.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 242
  • Scow11.jpg
    Scow11.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 236
  • Scow10.jpg
    Scow10.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 312
  • Scow08.jpg
    Scow08.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 278
That is stunning!

Super Wing Commander had a pretty neat look about it too, as much as I like the art of the original.

That is stunning!

Super Wing Commander had a pretty neat look about it too, as much as I like the art of the original.

I remember it being pretty much the only time I've ever been envious of a Mac owner. :D Man, I loved the look of that game.

I have SWC courtesy of LOAF many, many moons ago.

However, I was a Mac guy first before my dad got a PC in 1993-ish.

I only drop in here once ever couple months, but each time its well worth it. I echo most of the sentiments out there lately; mostly Howard is a God with modeling, but also the story should be modest and reasonable. The best times in privateer were counting commodities to see how many runs i need for my first meson, and then turning tail at just twin Talons, hopin my shields'll hold till Troy... (on that note, i look forward to discussion on storyline and gameplay ideas)

Otherwise, I can't wait for the next batch of updates, and, of course, the first playable demo? I even went out and bought a new computer in anticipation of this game (Spore, Supreme Commander, and Starcraft 2 may've helped in that decision as well)

All the best, gents.

Simply Beautiful

I've been poping in and out of WC News for a great many years, time on the net has been curtailed recently due to a military career and recent iraq deployment. I just wanted to come on here and say thank you to Howard for bringing these amazing ships of my childhood dreams to life in ways I thought they never would. Sorry to get sappy but WC has a very dear place in my heart. I'll never forget the hours glued to my joystick playing WC I and II, deeply engrossed in the story and universe. I'll never forget my amazement watching the FMV intro for WCIII and the betrayel of Hobbs later on that actually made me sad. I grew up with the WC series and games today just don't have the gumption, the panash, to use grandpa words, that games of the 90s had. It is great to see people like you keeping the dream alive that hopefully EA might look around and say, "It's time.."

Thank you for your work and to all the fan projects as well.

SPC Kevin McCulley
US Army
Combat Medic: God's gift to the Infantry!

PS: Do you have any plans to do the TCS Concordia, the most breathtakeingly beautiful ship in the history of Sci-Fi? :)

Back