Problems with the music

wtb

Spaceman
Just downloaded and installed the 0.8 beta, just wondering if there were any obvious reasons the music doesn't play. I set sounds to All Sound (running in win2k) and Music volume to high, I know it isn't my volume as the sound effects are fine and I know it's not my midi support as the individual files play perfectly in winamp/windows media player. Any help would be appreciated as the original music was one of the main aspects of this game that kept me hooked and playing for years!

On a side note... I'd been planning on doing this exact project myself for a while now, had gotten as far as exporting the IFF files from the TRE's and started decoding some of them and then I found this site! I'm amazed! The only thing left to be done now is add co-op support and a bunch of custom missions and it'll be perfect as I always saw privateer to be. Looks like it's time to dust off the old C++ compiler and get cracking on the vegastrike multiplayer support ;-)

go on the vega-strike forums and find either 'surfdargent' or 'Alaskan'
they were working on mutliplayer

surfdargent did quite a bit of it a while back. lotsa engien changes, etc.
Alaskan picked it up recently, but i donno how he's doing.

leave a post in the development area entitled to them both. I'm sure they will reply. you all can coordinate something.

vega-strike is aiming for MMPRPG style play, spanned across a number of community ran hosts.

-scheherazade

Thanks for the info, I'll check out where they're at then consider options from there.

As much as the privateer universe lends itself to an mmorpg style of gameplay I had more of a simple coop server->client style of play in mind. All I ever wanted to do was have some mates help with all the great single player missions. I guess the idea there is just to add support for both to vegastrike then enable/disable either on a per mod basis.

On another note I have to say that from what I've played so far everyone in the mod team has done an amazing job. Thank you for making my dream a reality without me actually having to do it! :p

Music may not work if you have your firewall set to reject connections from localhost (127.0.0.1)

This is the easiest cross-platform (mac,lin,win) way to establish interprocess communication short of writing files to the drive...
disable your firewall--see if music sounds--if so, fix your firewall--else we look further

Also: sounds may waste another audio channel for your soundcard--if you have but a single channel on your ancient sound card it may not work in addition to the sound FX

Back