Problem With WC: Prophecy

Techstorm

Spaceman
Hi, I'm having trouble with patching my GOG copy of Wing Commander Prophesy to work on Windows 10. I tried installing the OpenGL patch, the enhancement patch, and the DVD videos patch, but every time I launch the game, it opens, then closes automatically. I don't know what's going on. I've heard once that the game doesn't like it when you have too many CPU cores running, but I don't know about that and frankly I don't want mess with my BIOS every time I want to play a game. I'll give you my laptop specs if that helps, but I don't know. Hope to hear what anybody has to say?

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19045) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP
System Model: HP Laptop 17t-by400
BIOS: F.10 (type: UEFI)
Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16024MB RAM
Page File: 11459MB used, 6995MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DirectX Database Version: 1.0.8

Just to clarify, did you have the game running before trying to apply any of the patches?

Regarding multiple cores, you shouldn't have to change your bios to make a game run on a single core though I would say that these solutions come with a "use at own risk" disclaimer since they involve messing with the registry

Hi, I'm having trouble with patching my GOG copy of Wing Commander Prophesy to work on Windows 10. I tried installing the OpenGL patch, the enhancement patch, and the DVD videos patch, but every time I launch the game, it opens, then closes automatically. I don't know what's going on. I've heard once that the game doesn't like it when you have too many CPU cores running, but I don't know about that and frankly I don't want mess with my BIOS every time I want to play a game. I'll give you my laptop specs if that helps, but I don't know. Hope to hear what anybody has to say?

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19045) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP
System Model: HP Laptop 17t-by400
BIOS: F.10 (type: UEFI)
Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16024MB RAM
Page File: 11459MB used, 6995MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DirectX Database Version: 1.0.8
I had similar issues with Prophecy and Secret ops. I found that when you install the GL patch you need to disable compatibility mode otherwise it will just bring up the splash screen and then crash. Try these steps. Specifically from step 3. Hopefully it will help.

Wing Commander Prophecy / Secret Ops
1) Install "Wing Commander Prophecy" and/or "Wing Commander Secret Ops" via GOG / GOG Galaxy into the Root WingLoader folder. ex: C:\Games\WingLoader so the final result will look like C:\Games\Wingloader\Wing Commander Prophecy (or Secret Ops)
2) Download and install the Model Upgrade Pack https://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/Model_Upgrade_Pack and set up the display settings to your liking.
3) Go into your install directory and right click the Prophecy.exe and go to the compatibility tab.
- Click "Change settings for all users" and de-select "Run in Compatibility Mode"
- Click "Apply" if the option is still checked for Compatibility Mode de-select and click Apply.
* If Compatibility Mode is not enabled. Enable it, Apply and then repeat the steps.
- Do the same process with SecretOps.exe in the Wing Commander Secret Ops folder.

I had this problem as well. For me, it was connected to the DVD cutscenes. Try removing them (i.e. rename the movies folder to something the game cannot read, like movies_a) and try running the game again? As far as I know, the DVD patch is designed so that if it does not detect the movies it will use the original game cutscenes instead. If the game starts working, then the DVD cutscenes are the problem and you may need to install a Codec Pack like K-Lite to resolve it.

Note that even with the Codec Pack I wasn't able to get the DVD cutscenes to work with audio, they would crash if I tried.

Back