Privateer, yet again......

Klang

Spaceman
es no work on my computer! is there a chance in hell of getting it to work on windows XP? i know u can run dos programs off their own Config Autoexec files but i cant get them to work.

Am i wasteing my time or is it possible?

Try booting from a "recovery disk" made in Win98. Click on Control Panel, Add new Programs, Recovery disk - or "restore disk", I dunno, my windows is in Portuguese :)

if i had win 98 i would try it but ive got winXP
!

i think if i can get this line of the config to work it might work

EMM = [A=AltRegSets] [B=BaseSegment] [RAM]

its then got a load of explanation of how this line works (which i dont understand how to make work. i think this is how u change the Noems to Ram or whatever windows wants.

Help?

I think you have to really love both Privateer1 and WinXP to work on getting them to tango. I tried, I failed, I saw reason and made a bootdisk from W98 on my old computer. One advantage I found with the W98 bootdisk ( as opposed to an older “straight” dos bootdisk ) is that it can “see” a larger harddisk – ie. 20 GB – which means that you don´t need to make a separate dos partition on your harddisk.

Originally posted by Klang
if i had win 98 i would try it but ive got winXP

I know.

I never worked on WinXP so I can´t help you with WinXP.

HOWEVER, you probably know someone who has Win95 or 98. You could go to that someone´s house and make a disk to use with Privateer. You could use the disk to play the game and not use it to work with WinXP.

Unless you are some Highlander who wants a Computing Nobel Prize and will try to make Priv work with WinXP. And you WILL earn that award if you manage to do that. :) I´ll vote on you!

Sorry I don´t know anything about WinXP so keep posting for help and someone else might help you out.

Privateer won't work in Windows. As WinXP lacks DOS, you'll need a computer with Win98 or lower to be able to boot into DOS and run the game.

so let me get this straight. if one has windows ME for example... is there NO WAY to run Privateer AT ALL???

Yes and No, P1 can run on a WinME system but only with a Win9x rescuse disk. You'll need to run the HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE from the a: drive. WinME doesn't have these files. WinME was design not to support DOS. There are user made DOS patches available on the net for ME.

If you go into a store like CompUSA they sell Win98 along side of XP. People are buying Win98 so they can dual-boot and play there old games that don't work in XP/ME. WinME was a waste, it only serve to make more money for MS.

Irony??

I try, i make a copy of my Auto exec and config to play around with, unknown to me that windows doesnt copy these major files it CUTS and PASTES them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So i compleatly edit my Auto exec deleating what was there and put in a whole load of other stuff.
Next day my bro tells me that his older games arnt working cos windows cant find the files! :mad: and i cant remember what was in them.

Why am i telling u this, i doubt u can help, im going to have to find the system discs my (luddites of ) parents have hidden just in case we destroy the computer? :confused:
So the moral of this tale? laugh at other ppls missfortune while You can..... cos itl be u soon.

Klang

WinME was design not to support DOS.
oh the woo's of WIN,ME. (A POS OS) windows me was possibly the worse OS ever released.
all they did was make a few updates from 98, changed some key graphics, deleted key DOS components :( and called it a new OS.
it had so many cronic problems, many were never resolved. it was just for money, most likely to help finance XP's development. which would have been ok, had ME been worth the money.
i did not willingly buy ME, it came on my laptop. :( it was on it until i got it home, them i put win2K on it.

Back