Privateer won't run... help please

Wow, considering you're working on the same car as the one I'm also trying to get to run (Priv1 for DOS on CD), I would also like a tip.

After loading the CD and sound card drivers, I run out of conventional memory and am unable to run Privateer.
As for having EMS, well... I'm a bumbler at such, and don't know how to run it
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Belay that.

Thanks TC for the help. (I've never understood computers two decades ago, and I still do not now).

Remember the step-by-step confirmation thing you did a while back? You posted the results to that in this thread earlier; look about halfway down the page. Just do the same thing as before, this time hitting N when it asks you about the Doublespace driver.

uhh i hate to bother you since you have done so much for me but i get choppy sound while in flight. it might be the music or shooting lasers, im not sure.. i was wondering if you had any idea on how to fix this..

again.. thank you for all your help
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless I miss my guess, you're using the Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI, correct? I'm afraid I won't be able to test that personally for a while, but all other Ensoniq cards I've used (such as the one I'm using now -- Ensoniq Soundscape Elite, recommended for DOS use by Stinger: "Using DOS? Use Soundscape!") have worked fine. Same with the ISA cards from Creative. Haven't gotten my grubby paws on the PCI cards, though, mostly because they can't work with Ultima VII or Serpent Isle.

Anyone else out there having similar trouble with one of these cards?

Oh, that's right, you mentioned that earlier. I believe that's still one of their PCI cards, though.

Perhaps one of the hardware settings is incorrect; right-click on My Computer, hit Properties, and hit the Device Manager tab. Look for your sound card entry under "Sound, video and game controllers." Double-click on it and hit the Resources tab. Tell me what you see.

use automatic settings with a check,
setting based on basic configuration 0000

interrupt request 10
input/output range e400 - e43f

Stinger said:
Unless I miss my guess, you're using the Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI, correct? I'm afraid I won't be able to test that personally for a while, but all other Ensoniq cards I've used (such as the one I'm using now -- Ensoniq Soundscape Elite, recommended for DOS use by Stinger: "Using DOS? Use Soundscape!") have worked fine. Same with the ISA cards from Creative. Haven't gotten my grubby paws on the PCI cards, though, mostly because they can't work with Ultima VII or Serpent Isle.

Anyone else out there having similar trouble with one of these cards?

APINIT.EXE is the init file for legacy support of the AudioPCI, so I'd say either

a) Your right
b) The AudioPCI init file works with the SB128 too.

All Creative PCI cards from the AudioPCI on up to the SBLive! use their proprietary AudioPCI method of doing things. I imagine that all of those cards use APINIT.

Back