Privateer Problems (not memory of soundcard problems)

Darth Roel

Spaceman
Hi,

I've seen a lot of messages on this board concerning Privateer, however most concern memory of sound card problems. My problem is a bit different:

After installing the game (in MS-Dos mode of Win95 and without a sound card). I give the command "priv" and then my computer stalls.

The only way to get my machine working again is to use the reset button. Hopefully it's just something stupid, I just can't figure out what it is.

ok configs are as follows:

autoexec.bat:
C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE~1\SCAN.EXE C:\
@IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T2
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET NUMLOCK=OFF
LH C:\Logitech\MOUSE\MOUSE.EXE

LH C:\WIN95_25\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /E /D:IDECD000
PATH=C:\WIN95_25;C:\WIN95_25\COMMAND;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM;D:\BIN;C:\1DIRPLUS;D:\UTILS\NU

SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WIN95_25
LOADHIGH C:\PROGRAM~1\CREATIVE\CTSND\DOSDRV\APINIT.COM

config.sys:
DEVICE=C:\WIN95_25\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WIN95_25\EMM386.EXE Ram
BUFFERS=50,0
FILES=50
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DOSDATA=UMB
rem FCBSHIGH=4,0
[common]
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\AOATAPI.SYS /D:IDECD000 /Q

I don't have a mem problem I think, I have 588k (601,792 bytes) free of conventional memory and 32M of EMS
Hope that helps, regardless your efforts are appreciated

Hi, I forgot to mention in my previous post, but yes, I didn't select a sound card, just to make sure that wasn't going to be the problem (I figured I'd worry about that later, if I could only just get the game to work!)

Ok, I just "solved" the problem with a boot disk, but I still think it's silly that it's neccessary, that you can just restart in MS-Dos mode, however it works, so I'm happy ... on to the next problem sound! But I've seen a lot of discussions about that, so that should work.

Back