Privateer pirate lifestyle

Clive

Spaceman
I recently started playing privateer again via myjemm.

One of the things I loved to do most was play pirate and kill merchants and steal their cargo. Quick cash, no thought involved.

Only problem is i've killed like 20 ships already and noones ejected or dropped cargo. I do believe its because I have cheats on, but I can't remember if thats the case or not.

Maybe theres something special i need to do?

Also I haven't been able to get into the plotline since as soon as Sandoval starts explaining about the artifact, it crashes. Ideas?

Aye, the hotpants...

I never found that to be very lucrative in Privateer. Just salvaging cargo from blown up ships. One thing I did do for awhile to make money though was buy slaves and drugs (Ultimate sold for way more than Brilliance) at a pirate base, and take all that stuff to the nearest pleasure planet. It was the only cargo worth running back and forth to make money on and that you could be invulnerable.

Bah, real men and women never turn invulnerability on. What's the point of playing the game anyway? If you want cash so bad you need to cheat, just hack the save and give yourself a few million. it is faster...
The REAL MAN AND WOMEN way of making money is taking merc missions.

Disclaimer: I'm not homophobic or mysoginous, BTW.

Ed, I love you. Merc missions, no cheats, and kill anyone that looks at you funny.

(I also like running slaves and drugs, though. Pirate bases are a good gauntlet to run)

How many pirate bases are there in Privateer? all I know about is the Pentonville one, are there others?

I believe there are five:

Drake Base, Capella System
Smallville Base, KM-252 System
Oakham Base, Pentonville System
Tuck's Base, Sherwood System
Megiddo Base, Telar System

One thing to add to what LOAF is saying, if you really want to make fast money go to Capella or Sherwood, they are both one jump away from other bases. I suggest going to Sherwood because it is one jump away from a refinery base and their products sell for more when you return to the pirate base. Another thing, if you REALLY want to make more money trading in illict goods, buy yourself a Galaxy you will make a shitload of cash per round trip, especially if you take merc missions in the immediate systems.

Joker057 said:
One thing to add to what LOAF is saying, if you really want to make fast money go to Capella or Sherwood, they are both one jump away from other bases. I suggest going to Sherwood because it is one jump away from a refinery base and their products sell for more when you return to the pirate base. Another thing, if you REALLY want to make more money trading in illict goods, buy yourself a Galaxy you will make a shitload of cash per round trip, especially if you take merc missions in the immediate systems.

Now that's something a Real Privateer would do. Go around selling ilegal stuff in dangerous and daring routes and taking merc missions in the galaxy.

The thing about making money on Privateer, just like Freelancer, is that you easly max your ship. Than what's the point of making more money if you can't spend it?

I know.

Perhaps you could just keep buying slaves and then releasing them into the wild.

Seriously though that is a good point. I enjoy playing the game for awhile after I have everything super bad ass and cool, but after so long. I just start a new game so I can save up for new things again. That's just kind of the appeal of that game. Oh and the uh, storyline. *cough*

capitalists are never satisified with the amount they've got...you can always have more surplus value....

That's why Privateer needed to go online. And, it needed a *much* wider range of products available (ships, guns, missiles, hardware, maps, other accessories), and maybe even varying brands.

And, online, it would need a few really good alliances. Like a real Merc Guild, with real rules (such as not interfering with or killing other mercs). And, of course, more planets, systems, blah blah. More involvement with the Kilrathi/Confed war (because, let's face it, who'd want to play Privateer during the bug war? I'm not a big fan of the bug war)

Of course, all these ideas have been hashed over time and time and time again.

Joker057 said:
Another thing, if you REALLY want to make more money trading in illict goods, buy yourself a Galaxy you will make a shitload of cash per round trip, especially if you take merc missions in the immediate systems.

about how much are we looking at here, like thousands, tens of thosands, hundreds?

Iceman16 said:
about how much are we looking at here, like thousands, tens of thosands, hundreds?

Well if you carry the maximum 225 units of Ultimate to a pleasure planet, you will get maybe 200 credits profit per unit (I think), so we're talking low tens of thousands--slightly higher than the highest paying individual mercenary missions.

Iceman16 said:

Well lets see here... if you follow my directions and buy a Galaxy, 225 units of Ultimate sells on a pirate base for about 1000 cr or less a unit so 225,000 roughly. It will sell for about 1250 on a refinery or about 281,150cr at selling. A 56,250 profit on cargo. Now lets say you take a patrol three bounty missions at 15,000 a piece so another 45,000cr. So one way from the pirate base in Sherwood, you could potentially make 101,250cr. Thats a pretty decent mint. Now if you count taking missions and having a full cargo load coming from the refining base in New Caledonia, you could potentially make another two thirds of your first run so another 66,000. Bringing you to a grand total of 167,250cr gross profit before repairs and missle relodes if you even use missiles. I dont, I dont want to spend the extra money if all I have to do is kill a bunch of Talons anyways. That is my only real peeve about Privateer, not enough types of ships to blow up. Does that help your curiosity Iceman?

yeah, thats alot of info, thx. just wondering one thing though, is every pirate base surrounded by asteroids? its really starting to piss me off, Ive had to reload about 3 times now. also, the most ultimate Ive been able to get is 40 units, how can you get 225 units?

Originally posted by Delance

The thing about making money on Privateer, just like Freelancer, is that you easly max your ship. Than what's the point of making more money if you can't spend it?

Playing the money making game in Priv to a ridiculous extent allows you to buy all the fancy upgrades when you start RF.

Joker057 said:
...Bringing you to a grand total of 167,250cr gross profit before repairs and missle relodes if you even use missiles. I dont, I dont want to spend the extra money if all I have to do is kill a bunch of Talons anyways. That is my only real peeve about Privateer, not enough types of ships to blow up.

I find that missiles are only really needed if you are going against more than three Talons at a time. I agree with you that there should have been more diversity in opponents--the pirates and Retros should have had some sort of medium fighter to complement the Talon light fighters.

Iceman16 said:
yeah, thats alot of info, thx. just wondering one thing though, is every pirate base surrounded by asteroids? its really starting to piss me off, Ive had to reload about 3 times now. also, the most ultimate Ive been able to get is 40 units, how can you get 225 units?

A trick to getting more of a type of cargo than is offered at once is to first buy up all that is available, then save your game, then load the saved game. When you load, the supply at the base will be restocked, and you will have all that you bought in your cargo hold. Just repeat this till you have all that you want to buy.

About the pirate bases: they are all converted asteroid mining bases, so yes, they are pretty much all located in asteroid fields. This makes it easier for them to remain hidden from the militia patrols, etc.

Back