Privateer installation acting up

Vortagh

Spaceman
Posted this in the Saga forum instead. Never saw this forum. Stupid me. :p

Ugh, and another one from me.

Since Wing Commander 1 didn't work out for me, I decided to play some Privateer (floppy) instead. Well, this time I can't even install.
I mount everything, just as it's done in the how-to on this wonderful page and ater hitting "install with these options", it asks me for the last disc, then the first disc... and that's it. I can put in whatever floppy I want, it always asks for #1 and doesn't do ANYTHING.

I tried again and again, nothing works. I got my backup CDs out and pull the individual images onto my drive, as well as each floppy's content. I tried installing via image. Nope. I tried installing by mounting a folder as A drive, copying the individual files for disc one. Nope.
It's always the same error. Install menu works fine, going to disc 6 seems to work fine, but it always stops at putting in the first disc. Help! PLEASE!

DosBox Version is 0.72.

Have you tried installing in windows instead? after changing disc did you remember to get dosbox to re-scan for files?

Re-scan for files? What's that for? Never heard of it, never used it. I installed WC1 previously and it gave me no problems while installing from multiple floppies.

Well, I just did Ctrl-F4 (I think that should be what you meant, right?), no d ice. Still the same problem. :/

Hmm, and you tried installing in windows instead of in dosbox? (I find that even when it works, it tends to be slower in dosbox!) Do you not have a cd version of priv? Or you could copy all the disc contents into one folder and try installing from there?

No, I have the original floppy version, mint condition box, manuals, posters, etc , with speech pack and RF. ;-) But I am only trying to install pure, vanilla Privateer without either addon.

And as I have already said, I tried installing from the backups I made years ago, when the floppies were definitely in A-OK condition, I pulled backups. Both as floppy images and indivial files in folders.

:(

Are you sure your mounted the floppy (A) as a '-t floppy'? Does the disk happen to be write protected? Do any files install to the hard drive at all in this process?

Back