DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILESHIGH=30
BUFFERS=30

Autoexec.bat
============
Pretty much empty.

With this configuration I receive an error message when attempting to run Privateer in Windows 98 Second Edition:

"Protected mode driver is not responding to EMS function calls. Make sure your EMS driver is not configured with the 'NOEMS' option. If it is, replace the option 'NOEMS' with 'RAM'."

Is my config.sys wrong? Should I add something to autoexec.bat? Does Windows 98 ignore my config.sys and autoexec.bat files? It's funny because using that same configuration and copying the entire Privateer CD to my HD, I can play the game.. without sound. I had a problem with the digital audio.. it was nothing but screeching. My sound card is an Aureal Vortex which came with a DOS driver. Of course, Aureal was bought out and the latest drivers I have came on the driver CD. Anyway, what do you all think?

Are you trying to play from Windows, or DOS? It won't work from the Windows environment; restart the machine in DOS mode to run Privateer.

I note that you have no CD-ROM drivers loaded, so you'll need to either add those to your config files or set up the game to play from the hard drive.

I broke down..

.. and pieced back together my first computer, a 486/33 with 8 megs of ram. I've tried everything, I think. The only problem I seem to have with running Privateer on my Pentium III in real DOS is that the digital audio (speech) is just a bunch of screeching.

hmm
you did keep the 16384 parameter for the EMM386 line, right? That's essential to proper sound in Privateer. Otherwise, try running the install program again; sometimes this can happen if the wrong IRQ or DMA setting is specified.

Back