SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET PROMPT=$p$g
SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
SET GRIP=C:\GRAVIS\CORESO~1
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\GRAVIS\CORESO~1
SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WINDOWS
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T2
C:\SBPCI64\apinit.com

Okay. The reason it's not working is you have no CD-ROM drivers loaded. This is actually rather easy to work around.

From Windows, copy the following two files from the Priv CD to your PRIVATER directory: PRIV.TRE and RF.TRE. Next, use Notepad to edit PRIV.CFG (note the different extension), which you'll find in your PRIVATER directory. This is what it needs to look like:

=C:\PRIVATER\PRIV.TRE

Now, make a similar change to RF.CFG (which you'll also find in the PRIVATER directory) so that it looks like this:

=C:\PRIVATER\RF.TRE

Save the files. The game is now playable from the hard drive; you won't need the CD in order to play anymore.

There's a problem with the CONFIG.SYS file on your boot disk. Take out the DEVICEHIGH line and add the following two lines:

FILESHIGH=25
BUFFERSHIGH=25

Save and exit. You're done. Reboot the computer with the boot disk and enjoy Privateer.

Stinger said:

Save the files. The game is now playable from the hard drive; you won't need the CD in order to play anymore.

There's a problem with the CONFIG.SYS file on your boot disk. Take out the DEVICEHIGH line and add the following two lines:

FILESHIGH=25
BUFFERSHIGH=25

Save and exit. You're done. Reboot the computer with the boot disk and enjoy Privateer.

OS=HIGH,UMB
Device=C:\WINDOWS\Himem.Sys
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384
FILESHIGH=25
BUFFERSHIGH=25

i change it like this right?

hey thanks! it worked
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
klaus said:
Two COMMAND.COMs? That doesn't look normal to me. And from a cold boot at command prompt it souldn't show that WIN line. That's Windows for all I know.

Probably adding RAM to the EMM386 line in CONFIG.SYS would help...

He probably Shut Down to MS-DOS Mode or something.

I did a little checking, and the shortcut I have created for Privateer also loads two Command.com's. I think that it loads one copy of command.com, and then loads your MS-DOS Mode Program, which, for me, is another command.com. So you get two nested command.com's.

[This message has been edited by Jumper (edited July 02, 2000).]

Yes, that's exactly what happens. See, the way this kind of shortcut normally works is this:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
Computer restarts with given configuration
Computer runs whatever program is specified
Computer immediately restarts back to Windows by issuing the WIN /WX command
</UL>

DOS is essentially just COMMAND.COM in the same way that Windows is essentially just WIN.EXE, but much more so. One nifty feature of COMMAND.COM is that it will also start up a DOS shell even if DOS is already running. Older DOS-based utilities often used this to let you do something in DOS without ever leaving the program. Windows uses it to create its DOS boxes. I use it as the program that the shortcut runs before restarting back to Windows, which is why two copies are loaded.

Got all that?

Already knew all that. I just re-stated it for the benefit of the poor dude wondering why he had two command.coms.

I'm an old DOS guru. Moved to Win95 *with protest*.

HeHeHe, my parents were sort of technophobic until 1997, our first PC which we got in 1994 was an Original IBM PC, 15 years out of date. Fooled with that, then got an Epson Equity one (8088 with CGA), my first color PC. Later we got a 286 (I never played WC on it, wasn't a fan at the time), and in 1997 we bought a *real* PC. Now we have 2 Pentiums and a 486/33 for the little kids. In the process of all this I've learned just about mot everything there is to know about computers.

Back