Privateer Day: Number Five with a Bullet (June 3, 2011)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Privateer's four ship options are loved by fans everywhere, even the cheaper choices (internally, the game calls the Tarsus the 'clunker' and the Orion 'tug'--so they knew what they were doing)... but did you know there was originally going to be a fifth "speeder" ship? Here's a design sketch:

speeder2.gif

--
Original update published on June 3, 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
aww, cool, but understand why it pulled

would have loved to try the speeder ship.

Guess it got pulled cause then a few players like me who simply max out the engines and run around on afterburners (to avoid fights since many plot-missions are transports) would zip around and have the game done in half the time.

The ship makes an appearance in Standoff during the plot.

However, there is also a birthday release where you can turn the Raptor into the Priv Speeder in the simulator. It's a small download that just replaces the ship in the Standoff mod.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get a 404 error on that link. Any chance of getting the file? BTW: does the "speeder" ship have appropriate specs (i.e. fast and light), or is it just cosmetic and still flies like the Raptor?

The Speeder does have the appropriate stats - or, to be specific, the stats we felt would be appropriate (as far as Origin's intentions, all we have to go on is the ship's name). I tried to design it to fit in with the other Priv ships - so, it's blisteringly fast, but lacking in armor and manoeuvrability. It does have four gun slots, so I can imagine someone using a ship like this in Priv would turn it into a four-plasma killing machine (...only to find out the power plant really can't support such firepower), but of course in Standoff it's armed with just four lasers.

So basically, it's like a courier ship - intended to fly through trouble without stopping, not too capable of a dogfight, and probably very limited in terms of cargo space, as well.

I get a 404 error on that link. Any chance of getting the file? BTW: does the "speeder" ship have appropriate specs (i.e. fast and light), or is it just cosmetic and still flies like the Raptor?

I'm getting the same thing.

Q is it still on the Standoff server?

I'm actually playing through Privateer for the first time ever right now (thank you GOG!), and I just bought and outfitted a Centurion to be exactly this role. I added afterburners, maxed the engines, beefed up the shields and ECM's, and am running past everything I encounter on full burners. I'm making a killing on delivery runs, and not having to spend a lot of time in dogfights that have no profit motive (and it makes it a lot easier to get a quick run in between diaper changes for the little one).

But it does seem kind of a waste to be using a combat fighter as a speeder...I would happily trade some of my ship's armament capability and combat ability for some more cargo space and even a little more speed.

It would have been neat if a true speeder ship had been in the game.

So basically, it's like a courier ship - intended to fly through trouble without stopping, not too capable of a dogfight, and probably very limited in terms of cargo space, as well.
Four lasers (even without missiles) is still probably good enough to match against an Epee or Ferret (though the Stiletto's heavier armor than the former two probably reduces any advantage that the speeder gets from its greater mobility). If the Centurion can be viewed as the civilian counterpart to the Rapier, then this might be the civilian counterpart to the Ferret.

occasionally I load up the centurion with 4 different guns just to get a different refire rate with each.

not super effective but always entertaining!

Yeah, sorry. I spend half the time these days away from home and my regular PC... so unless you happen to ask such a question during a week when I'm at home, most likely I won't remember about it by the time I can actually check.

Anyway - no, it's not there. To be honest, I don't remember any actual discussion about this, so it may have been simply an oversight when Eder was creating the new Standoff website. It seems that the Rapier download is gone as well. I should have a backup somewhere...

Back