Privateer Browser Game Art Found! (September 29, 2017)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
An amazing discovery tonight: the former EA Phenomic studio, the team responsible for Lord of Ultima, worked on a Wing Commander: Privateer browser game less than five years ago! The online portfolio of art director Karsten Mehnert was recently updated to show several pieces of concept art from the proposed game. As the artwork specifically references Star Citizen, we know this project was in development after late 2012! Sadly, EA Phenomic was shuttered in 2013, which means it's unlikely this take on Privateer will ever happen. Could a similar project ever materialize? As Colonel Blair says: there's always hope! We're hoping to learn the rest of the story behind this idea, and will update you if anything more is discovered.

--
Original update published on September 29, 2017

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that an Excalibur Silhouette? So this one would actually taken place in the wing commander universe?

If I was you guys I'd quit hoping EA will ever be what it is. I'm beginning to think that Wing Commander and anything closely related to it is cursed with all the failed projects and discarded ideas. I think it's about time to give up on the franchise. At first I thought Star Citizen might be a decent spiritual successor, but with 5 years in and still no SQ42 I wonder how many people have died waiting on this game's release. I don't know what's going on over at CIG but there's a little over $1000 I'll never see again. Not to mention that the game is completely different now from the concept I backed in the beginning. I wish you guys the best of luck in the future, but I'm out. Peace.

Ew, a browser game? Well, at least it's a sign that the IP was still being considered. Cute use of the Dralthi silhouettes for the letter E.

Is that an Excalibur Silhouette? So this one would actually taken place in the wing commander universe?
Yes, that's an Excalibur.

LOAF if i were to guess, WC is the next on the list. Mainly because EA wants to keep ME Dead for a while after 3 and Andromeda's failure.

LOAF if i were to guess, WC is the next on the list. Mainly because EA wants to keep ME Dead for a while after 3 and Andromeda's failure.

Sadly, I think the same thing that killed EA's interest in supporting Mass Effect is the same thing that'll stop them from doing anything with Wing Commander: their Star Wars license.

Back