Privateer beatable with Galaxy?

Originally posted by junior
If it requires the original game, its an expansion. And while I've got both JK and MotS, my minds a little hazy on the details. Are you certain that there was a functional engine with both?

Heh. I was one of the most active members (and undoubtedly the most active 3D modeller... back when we had to use notepad to import models :p) of the JK editing community for over two years... so believe me, I've hacked that thing apart enough times to be able to tell :) MotS had all the files it needed to run. The core files were different from JK's, because in fact the engine had one major component updated (lighting). The content files used the same format, except with a renamed extension (which got the editing community disencouraged by about 2 hours, until someone actually figured the files extensions were just renamed) and didn't link to anything in the original JK content files (in fact a lot of space could have been saved if this had been done differently, since the MotS container files have a LOT of content that is exactly the same as in JK's containers). So MotS had its own engine, and its own content. Like someone just said, the installation checked for JK to mess things up a bit.

--Eder

Originally posted by Eder

Heh. I was one of the most active members (and undoubtedly the most active 3D modeller... back when we had to use notepad to import models :p) of the JK editing community for over two years... so believe me, I've hacked that thing apart enough times to be able to tell :) MotS had all the files it needed to run.

Cool.
In retrospect, I think MW2: Ghost Bear's Legacy may have been similar, although my memory's fuzzy (and I never actually owned this product).

Otaru - Brood Wars is an expansion, pure and simple. If you were to remove all of the game engine files installed during your original Starcraft install, then Brood War wouldn't run. The game engine doesn't require the CD (otherwise, you wouldn't be able to play spawned copies in MP). The CD is mainly there for cinematics and as a form of copy protection.

Weasel - I don't need to contact companies to ask them how they classify their products. Enough of them provide the basic info in their own announcements and pr releases that its a fairly simple matter to figure out industry trends. And I don't think anyone has ever argued that SO is an expansion. We just said it wasn't WC6.

A lot of people actually *have* argued that SO is an addon. A lot. Their decaying corpses litter alt.games.wing-commander to this day.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
A lot of people actually *have* argued that SO is an addon. A lot. Their decaying corpses litter alt.games.wing-commander to this day.

Their corpses are still there? Damn - I thought that they'd be sent over to decorate my Kilrathi life-size diarama... you know, Kilrathi invading a human colony and all that.

And I'd call SO more of a stand-alone in the spirit of Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries. Same engine, same universe, same sort of action, but one has a few different features from the others (no FMV in SO since all cutscenes are in-engine, and the ability to buy or salvage parts in Mercenaries versus going to the shop to upgrade).

Originally posted by junior
Weasel - I don't need to contact companies to ask them how they classify their products. Enough of them provide the basic info in their own announcements and pr releases that its a fairly simple matter to figure out industry trends. And I don't think anyone has ever argued that SO is an expansion. We just said it wasn't WC6.

Right. In that case, let me clarify that Secret Ops is Wing Commander VI.

It's not an addon. It's a stand-alone expansion :p

Originally posted by Ladiesman^

It's not an addon. It's a stand-alone expansion :p

Groan.

Expansion is another word for add-on.

Secret Ops is not an add-on.

Therefore, Secret Ops is not an expansion.

USING SYNONYMS DOESN'T MAKE YOU LESS WRONG!

Groan.

Expansion is another word for add-on.

Secret Ops is not an add-on.

Therefore, Secret Ops is not an expansion.

USING SYNONYMS DOESN'T MAKE YOU LESS WRONG!

hehehe...

I actually don't care whether or not it's an addon. It SEEMS to me like a stand-alone expansion as there's nothing significantly different about from WCP. I suppose it could be considered WCVI.

Just because it works by itself doesn't mean it's NOT an addon...

Add-ons *BY DEFINITION* rely on a previous title to function. Therefore, Secret Ops is *IN NO WAY* an addon.

And this term, "stand alone expansion", which you've invented is a complete contradiction in terms -- since *not* standing alone is what makes a game an expansion.

I'm not saying it's WC6 -- I wouldn't say Prophecy is WC5... but it's *NOT AN ADDON* and it's *NOT AN EXPANSION*.

Personally, I prefer the Centurion, but I've been known to fly a Tarsus for a really long time, plug around in an Orion for a while, and, of course, when I wanted to run big loads of plutonium to New Detroit a lot of times, I'd deck out a Galaxy to haul the trash. Made lotsa ducs that way.

But towards the end of the game, I like the Centurion.

Add-ons *BY DEFINITION* rely on a previous title to function. Therefore, Secret Ops is *IN NO WAY* an addon.

And this term, "stand alone expansion", which you've invented is a complete contradiction in terms -- since *not* standing alone is what makes a game an expansion.

I'm not saying it's WC6 -- I wouldn't say Prophecy is WC5... but it's *NOT AN ADDON* and it's *NOT AN EXPANSION*.

I didn't invent the term "Stand alone expansion". Rogue Spear: Black Thorn says "Stand-alone expansion" on the box....that's where I got it from.....and that's pretty much how WCP:SO is, so I figured it was probably much the same....

I didn't invent the term "Stand alone expansion". Rogue Spear: Black Thorn says "Stand-alone expansion" on the box....that's where I got it from.....and that's pretty much how WCP:SO is, so I figured it was probably much the same....

Then Black Thorn is the only game I've ever seen using that particular term. The rest of the industry likes the term 'stand alone' for their non-sequel follow-ups, but then takes on words that don't indicate required ownership of the original product (i.e. don't use words such as 'add-on' or 'expansion').

And as for Privateer, I think trying to complete those university missions without a Centurion is making things a lot harder than they need to be.

Originally posted by WildWeasel
That's the most subtle topic change I've ever seen.

I didn't change the topic. It had drifted. I corrected the drift.

I liked running drugs & such out of Pentonville. I liked an Orion for that.

It's WC:SO, not WCP:SO.

The box to Black Thorn is *wrong*, though -- that's dumb corporate doublespeak.

Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries - not an expansion, but a stand alone game, using the Mech2 engine.. which is why they took the name Mech2: Mercenaries. It doesn't check to see if you had Mechwarrior 2 installed.

R6: Covert Operations - not an expansion, used the same engine. They call it an extension, but that's not an expansion (which would be like R6: Urban Ops). You don't need R6 on the machine to play this one.

Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries (coming up) is a stand-alone game using the Mech4 engine and set in the Mech4 universe, like its spiritual predecessor. It doesn't care whether you have Mech 4: Vengeance or not.

Wing Commander: Secret Ops - a stand-alone game using the WCP engine, set in the same universe (a few months after WCP's events), released in episodic format. It doesn't care whether you have WCP installed or not.

Asheron's Call: Dark Majesty - it doesn't check to see if you have the original AC installed. It doesn't care if you have an AC client previously installed, and its own stand-alone client uses the same universe of AC, even the same servers, with the exception that the client lets you access new areas that include housing. It also provides enhanced functionality over the previous clients. Not as good as an example as the above, but it's not an expansion. Just as Second Age was not an expansion for the original UO, nor was Renaissance an expansion for Second Age, or Lord Blackthorn's Revenge an expansion for Renaissance. They all use the same servers and the same universe, but each provided new features that the previous didn't have, and didn't need a previous client installed.

Originally posted by Ridgerunner
I didn't change the topic. It had drifted. I corrected the drift.

The topic still changed, though. It changed from this rather long debate about Secret Ops back to the original discussion about Privateer.

Back