Privateer beatable with Galaxy?

No, if you don´t count the add-ons and the games for consoles , the sixth game to bear the Wing Commander name is is WC3

Originally posted by WildWeasel

Secret Ops is the sixth Wing Commander game.

I'd argue that point if it really mattered to my statement, but it doesn't.
So why are you so flummoxed over it?

Being the sixth game in a series and being the sixth game to bear a name are two different animals.

But (WC3) still is the 6th game of the series, if you don´t want to count Armada,Privateer and Academy, fine. but still the 6th game is WC3

Wing Commander is the first game of the series.
Wing Commander II is the second.
Wing Commander III is the third.
Wing Commander IV is the fourth.
Wing Commander: Prophecy is the fifth.
Wing Commander: Secret Ops is the sixth.

They may not have been produced in that order, but that is how they're numbered as far as the series is concerned.

Wing Commander III may have been the sixth game to bear the name, but that does not make it the sixth game of the series.

Originally posted by Ghost

But (WC3) still is the 6th game of the series, if you don´t want to count Armada,Privateer and Academy, fine. but still the 6th game is WC3

Interesting.

That makes Secret Ops what, the 9th game then?

The problem is this:
SO happens to be something that is commonly termed by the industry as a 'stand alone' follow-up, not as a proper 'sequel'. Examples of this would include Orion Pirates (SFC2), Kohan: Ahriman's Gift (Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns), and the game Crusader: No Regret (Crusader: No Remorse), which was released by Origin not long before WCP and SO. In each of the above mentioned cases, the game was released with the understanding that while it had some improvements in the original, and was a fully independent game, it was not #2 (or #3 in the case of Orion Pirates). In the first two cases, the sequel is currently in the works, while in the third case, enough exists to demonstrate that Origin at least considered Crusader 2 at some point (there are some sketches of bots that would have appeared in the game).
Therefore, according to standard industry logic, SO is not Wing Commander 6.
Finally, the bundling of WCP and SO in the Prophecy Gold package indicates that Origin considered SO to be an extension of Prophecy itself, as opposed to an entirely new game.
In short, WC6 has yet to see the light of day.

There's the Wing Commander series that you're referring to, which is very general and includes every game that takes place within the Wing Commander universe. Wing Commander III probably was the sixth game to be produced in that series.

Within that, there are smaller series, including the mainstream games (which I was referring to), The Kilrathi Saga, and the Privateer series. As I clarified earlier, Secret Ops is the sixth mainstream game to be produced.

We're both correct. It just depends on how you look at it.

Secret Ops is the sixth mainstream game to be produced.

For "series" meaning "fairly independent storylines", we actually have theses "series" only:

Wing Commander (I, II, III, IV and add-ons)
Privateer 1 + Righteous Fire
Armada
Privateer 2
Prophecy AND Secret Ops - which is not a new mainstream game but just a continuation of the Prophecy story.

Originally posted by junior
Finally, the bundling of WCP and SO in the Prophecy Gold package indicates that Origin considered SO to be an extension of Prophecy itself, as opposed to an entirely new game.

Wing Commander, Wing Commander II, and Wing Commander III were bundled and sold as The Kilrathi Saga. Does this mean that they're not individual games? Prophecy and Secret Ops were bundled because they're the two games in Wing Commander's Prophecy series. This does not mean that Secret Ops is not a sequel. It's independent, it tells a new chapter of the story, it was released separately, it's a separate game.

Yes, and speaking of mainstream, SO is *more mainstream* than Privateer, which one sold more?

Sales are irrelevant.

Originally posted by Starkey
Prophecy AND Secret Ops - which is not a new mainstream game but just an add-on, just like SM1 and 2 and WC2SO1 and 2.

You should check your definition of "add-on."

Wing Commander II continues The Kilrathi Saga's story in the same way that Secret Ops continues the Prophecy story. They're both mainstream games.

I can´t know which one sold more?, and yes i think taht is related, just a matter of opinion

Hehe. I thought you were offering that as a point in the argument.

Back