Privateer beatable with Galaxy?

Turrets don't fire on their own, the only thing that keeps them from being useless is that they can carry a tractor beam.

Speaking of turrets and the Galaxy... someone once said it was possible to use the turrets to fire forward, in order to get more punch in the front. I recall the method was to rotate both turret guns at maximum, towards the front of the ship. Then during dogfight to quickly switch to the turrets using the F2, F3, F4 keys (can't remember which) and press the fire button, then switch back to the cockpit with F1.

Did anyone actually test this tactic?

I wanted to but sadly I haven't found the time yet. But I don't think that would make the Galaxy more worthwhile it doesn't sound like a very practical maneuver.

I am pretty sure that your turrets in Priv don't fire by themselves.

Originally posted by mpanty
Speaking of turrets and the Galaxy... someone once said it was possible to use the turrets to fire forward, in order to get more punch in the front. I recall the method was to rotate both turret guns at maximum, towards the front of the ship. Then during dogfight to quickly switch to the turrets using the F2, F3, F4 keys (can't remember which) and press the fire button, then switch back to the cockpit with F1.

Did anyone actually test this tactic?

It's been done.

Originally posted by WildWeasel

It's been done.
And what are the results, Dr. Weasel? <g>

Is it worthwhile? Isn't the aim of the turrets "too far" from your central line of fire, to hit anything smaller than a capship? Is the switching from cockpit to turret and back, too unpractical to be executed in heated dogfight?

I've tried to do that Galaxy turret trick, but I couldn't manage it. :(

And turrets don't fire on their own, since Grayson is the only pilot, there are no gunners. Pity there couldn't be some sort of AI installed, though...

Turrets-don't-fire-automatically was *definately* one of the big complaints about Privateer back when it was released.

(Hehe, it's funny that people used to *hate* Privateer... and now it's a classic.)

Galaxy Turrets

I must admit, I've never managed to get the turrets on a Galaxy (or any other turret-equipped bird) to do anything useful. I've certainly never seen them fire by themselves. These days I just have one turret installed for the tractor beam and thats it. Anything more isn't cost effective.

My great compaint against the Galaxy is that its just so big - its an isometal overcast. One of the things a Tarsus has going for it is that its a small target; with the upgrades in Righteous Fire its a nice little gunfighter

Not only is Privateer a classic that lots of Wingdingers like, I think it's the best chance we have to have a new "Wing Commander" game. A Privateer game in the Wing Commander universe. I am planning/brainstorming/outlining/amassing finances to get to the point where I can approach EA with a proposal that (hopefully) they won't be able to turn down. Could take years. But you gotta have goals!:D

New Privateer

I've thought much along the same lines myself. Take the basic mechanics of Privateer/Righteous Fire, mate it with the large-area map that came with Prophecy and set it in the dying days of the Kilrathi War. Logically, the concentration of the Kilrathi fleet around Kilrah would have left most of the border areas open and undefended so a bunch of Gemini Sector robber barons would have found plenty of ways to make money cross-border trading. Instead of having a single plot line, have groups of smaller ones that fit in various combinations. At some point, the news of the destruction of Kilrah comes in and that kicks off the final game sequence using advantages, alliances and assets gained in the earlier smaller sequences to put the player into a winning position (say head of the Guild of Merchants or Mercenaries depending which way the plot runs).

Rather than approaching EA with an offer, it might be more economic to buy the rights to Privateer. I'd have to talk to an accountant about that.

I am proceeding under the assumption that EA won't unass the rights to WC/Privateer for even an exorbitant amount of money. I want to approach them with pre-paid/volunteer programmers, designers, everything. Then develop and produce the game with their permission/endorsement/whatever it takes to get it done. Might even end up making a buck or two before it's all over with.

New Privateer

I'm not sure if that's the case. After the disaster of Privateer II and The Movie That Dare Not Speak Its Name, EA may have decided that the whole Wing Commander franchise is more trouble than its worth. They may be more receptive to somebody taking it off their hands than still be involved in sales and marketing efforts (especially after the last two books, Action Stations and False Colors muddied the waters still further). I can't see a company wanting to get involved in a product line thats been gut-shot like those so it may be possible to pick up or license the rights - particularly to Privateer which is very old now by game standards.

Originally posted by Ridgerunner
I am proceeding under the assumption that EA won't unass the rights to WC/Privateer for even an exorbitant amount of money. I want to approach them with pre-paid/volunteer programmers, designers, everything. Then develop and produce the game with their permission/endorsement/whatever it takes to get it done. Might even end up making a buck or two before it's all over with.

Good luck!

If you can crack the ice with EA, you will become the new WC God.

Full Throttle was old by game standards but they made a second game anyway. I don´t think being ´old´ is the problem, a good game will have good sales.

Privateer was a great game, man i loved taht game, privateer 2 however, what the hell was that? I was annoyed when i spent all that cash on htat game. It was frickin stupid. THey shouldn't have left the wing commander universe. I played that game just so i could see Christopher walken, but i got so bored with it that i just couldn't make it there

Originally posted by Starkey
Full Throttle was old by game standards but they made a second game anyway. I don´t think being ´old´ is the problem, a good game will have good sales.

Its partly to do with old, and partly to do with who owns the company. Lucasarts is owned by Lucas, and still makes very good adventure games. Origin is owned by EA, and the closest either company in that organization is coming to space combat sims at the moment is Westwood's Earth and Beyond. I suspect that one of these days we will see a new product with the Wing Commander name, even if it takes twenty years, but I don't know whether it will be Wing Commander 6, featuring the latest and greatest in space combat sim technology, or Super Super Wing Commander, a top scrolling game in which you play Col. Blair in his Rapier against endless hordes of Kilrathi fighters, periodically interrupted by an end of the level "boss".

Originally posted by junior
I suspect that one of these days we will see a new product with the Wing Commander name, even if it takes twenty years, but I don't know whether it will be Wing Commander 6, featuring the latest and greatest in space combat sim technology, or Super Super Wing Commander, a top scrolling game in which you play Col. Blair in his Rapier against endless hordes of Kilrathi fighters, periodically interrupted by an end of the level "boss".

Secret Ops is the sixth Wing Commander game.

Back